Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another local quilt store closing >

Another local quilt store closing

Another local quilt store closing

Old 02-06-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
NO, I felt the same way, very sad. But if we don't support our LQS, their sales go down and they are forced to close. NOW I have no choice but to shop online for my fabrics. Two new stores have opened up but can't get to them by bus. One has very modern fabric whihc is not my cup of tea.

THINK BARGELLO when you shop Dina !!!
I did think Bargello when I shopped, Joellyn. Smiling quilter here....

Dina
Old 02-07-2015, 09:33 AM

Wow! we have a shop closing here as wee. she is headed for retirement with her new husband. I believe that the market is really hard on shop owners and small businesses in general. It is easier to close up shop than it is to carry it during off season.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:49 PM

I owned a shop. It was so hard when I had to close it down. I still miss it. That was in 2009. But I loved the customers that came to help me liquidate. It went fast. Thank goodness. Support your local shops. It is worth it in the end.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:56 AM

I love that store too although I don't get there as much as id like seeing as how its around 90 miles away. im sad to see it go theyre very nice people and they have nice fabric. I love to shop from them at the area quilt shows too. ill have to make time for a trip to the sale maybe I can make it this weekend, depends on how long it takes to check out the Lawton quilt show Saturday. if not itll probably be next weekend.
Carla m
Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I had a friend in MD that closed her shop. Once she made up her mind she wanted it DONE. She was grateful for her friends buying the inventory. She could not compete with Joannes.

As fabric keeps getting more and more expensive I think this will become more commonplace--sadly. We have so many in Phoenix I cannot fathom how they stay in business. I know they make most of their money on classes.
I was to take a class 2 1/2 hours from me, but got up late and missed it. I asked our LQS owner if she could get the teacher to teach the class here, close to me. The owner said she can't afford to hire teachers as they require to be paid for driving here and for overnight expenses plus food. That does sound like a lot of money to me. I am sad because I really want to take that class!!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by carla m View Post
I love that store too although I don't get there as much as id like seeing as how its around 90 miles away. im sad to see it go theyre very nice people and they have nice fabric. I love to shop from them at the area quilt shows too. ill have to make time for a trip to the sale maybe I can make it this weekend, depends on how long it takes to check out the Lawton quilt show Saturday. if not itll probably be next weekend.
Carla m
Be sure to check her hours...she has a site online, but I think she is open from 10:00-4:00 on Saturdays. Turns out she is actually retiring from quilting and concentrating on the other business she runs, which has something to do with canning, raising chicks, etc. She says she is looking forward to having time to quilt, visit relatives, etc. She says she will be open until the end of March, unless her fabric is all gone by then.

How nice to know someone else here likes this shop. (Mr. Sweeny's Country Quilt Show, northeast of Wichita Falls, TX....in case someone is wondering.)

I am going to the Lawton Quilt Show Friday! Small world...

Dina
Old 02-10-2015, 05:36 PM

It is a small world. I love to go to Mr. Sweeny's quilt shop. Also intrigued by how it got its name. She has great fabric and the prices have been wonderful when I have been there.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:44 PM

I worked at a local quilt store that had to shut down. Often we would have people that would pop in and want help on a pattern they found free online. Or they would tell us about the great deal on fabric online. Those sort of things don't keep your LQS open. When the owner finally decided to close; we had people come in and tell us how sad they were but they hadn't been in the store for a year. It was disheartening. You don't have to spend hundreds at a time at your LQS but do pop in and buy a pattern or fat quarter once in awhile.