Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another new practice block >

Another new practice block

Another new practice block

Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
That's exactly how we learn from our mistakes. I still make practice blocks, and if I make a mistake, I pull it out and do it over until I get it right. That's another way I learn. Quilting is a never-ending process of learning, so you're on the right track!
This is the first time I've ever made this type of block. I've only ever made 4. The first ones were a snowball and a 9 patch for a quilt made from my deceased husbands shirts. I made these into a lap quilt for his sister. Then I made the storm at see block and now this one, the dutch rose. Eventually I may combine all the blocks into a skill builder quilt since that's essentially what I'm doing, building my skills. Hopefully I can overcome the mistakes and get better at this.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 AM

How nice! Great job!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Love the colors you used. Nice block
Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
The problems I had was that even though everything was the correct size when cut, sewn, and pressed it seemed to shrink when it was time to make the block. I'm using a scant 1/4" seam and even measured it. Another problem I had was when sewing the outer squares to the center square. I marked the sewing line diagonally across the small square, placed it where it went on the larger square and sewed it as instructed. Everything looked good till I cut the corner off 1/4" from the sewing line and pressed it open. It looked wonky and the triangle was too small.
How did you measure your 1/4" seam? You really don't measure the seam, you measure the resultant patch. Here's a good way to check:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html

As far as your wonky, too small triangle. Mark the diagonal on the square, and place it on the larger piece. When you sew, you should not sew right on the line. Sew a few threads towards the corner. Now flip the corner open and press the seam with your finger. How does it look? Now you have an opportunity to take the stitching out & re do if it's really off. If it looks good, you can clip the extra triangles. If it's just off a bit, a way to cheat is to just cut the 2 inner layers out, and leave the bottom layer of the larger piece, which will be a square corner exactly the right size. If your small patch is too large, you can trim it down. If it's a little too small, the extra fabric from the large patch will allow you to trap the smaller seam allowance. The small amount of doubled fabric will not be noticeable.

BTW, your block looks wonderful! As you do more, your skills will improve!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 AM

I have quilted for many years and still want to invest in a 1/4 " foot for my sewing machine. I think you are so wise to explore new techniques!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 AM

You did a good job. I love your colours.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:20 AM

Quarter inch feet do not help. Mine sits in a box, waste of money. Each of us sew differently. If I sew a quarter inch my blocks come out to small. Besides it is impossible to really measure a true quarter inch with rulers. Ive measured two different quarter inch seams and both measured a quarter inch. Its such a small measurement that you don't get an accurate measurement.
Best to sew 3 strips togather then measure the middle one for size. Precut two and a half strips work well for this. The middle strip should come out at 2 inches.
I wrote on my sewing machine the needle setting for an accurate seam. It came out at 2.3, yours will be different.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 01-30-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

very nicely done
Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I'm not understanding. If I don't cut the part underneath I would have 4 layers behind that block corner.
the part I had trouble with is section/part 3 http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patte....html?idx=8042
I think we're both mistaken. If you don't cut at all, you end up with 3 layers at the corner. I don't have the book handy and it's been awhile since I did it, so I think I may be wrong about not cutting anything. Seems to me Mary Ellen Hopkins recommended pressing the triangle first, to make sure it matches the background corner, and then cutting only the *middle* layer of fabric -- leaving the corner with the background covered by the pressed triangle. It makes the block more stable.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Beautiful! I love your colors!