Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
another newbie question. Thanks. >

another newbie question. Thanks.

another newbie question. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 PM

Never tried it. It always seemed like it would be harder than binding.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM

I don't think it's a bad thing to use the backing as a pull over binding, it just depends on the amount of use the quilt gets. If it was going to be an heirloom quilt, heavy use, or a show quilt I'd probably put a separate binding on. I do a separate binding on my quilts now, but I've made some that are just sewn together and flipped out too. (They are still in use and look good. LOL)
Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM

I do it either way, depending on the quilt and what's on the back and how it looks with the front. I do like to double the folded back binding, though, to help with the wear factor.
I just mended my sis's quilt, (over 30 years old [the quilt I mean])the backing had been folded over the front and was getting a little worn on the edge, so I just added a regular binding over the folded over binding. Machine stitched it to the back, folded it to the front, turned back the raw edge a generous half inch, then machine stitched it to the front. It gets a lot of use and I wanted the sturdier stitch on both sides.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM

That was the original way to do it and a lot of my quilt group buddies are doing it again..looks fine to me !!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:56 PM

I do all of mine this way since separate binding and I just do not get along! I make sure to cut it big enough so that the edge is double thickness for durability.....
Old 08-23-2011, 04:59 PM

You can also turn the front border under, then fold over to the back and stitch down. It gives the back a thin edge of (usually) a different fabric, which is cute to see when the back shows on a bed quilt that's turned down to get into it.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
I don't judge other people's accomplishments, but celebrate them. Many ways to do things, and who knows, that's how we learn other ways to do things. I'm so happy we are not all alike. It would be boring if we all did everything just alike all the time. Think CREATIVITY!!!
Beautifully said Janis!
Without that, we wouldn't have half the quilting methods we enjoy today.

It seemed to touch a nerve for a few, but i believe Carolyn was only asking, not stating an opinion.
Speaking of earthquakes... How did you and yours hold up today with that 5.8 earthquake Carolyn? We felt it here all the way up near Niagara Falls! I can only imagine it was still quite strong in the Baltimore/Annapolis area. I hope all is well.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM

I am beginning to think that there are no wrong ways to quilt, just different ones. Since there are no quilt police, might as well please yourself.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM

To each his/her own. No quilt police, please.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
I do all of mine this way since separate binding and I just do not get along! I make sure to cut it big enough so that the edge is double thickness for durability.
I do it the same way after adding a border. The corners are not hard to miter either. I'm not good at hand sewing a binding on -can't seem to make neat and even stitches, so I much prefer this method where I get to use my sewing machine. It works great!
I LOVE your quote teacherbailey "....Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique! "