Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Another OBW question - sewing the stips together

  1. #1
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,888
    OK - all you who have done this fun quilt. I have put all my hexagons on the design board and started making my strips that will then get sewn together.

    My question is...do you cut off the points after you make the strip? I know I wasn't supposed to cut them while sewing, but now I have long strips with ears sticking out on each side?

    Second question...if the strips aren't perfectly straight do you keep taking them apart and redo or do you straighten them by cutting?

    That is all I need to know for now...thanks.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,377
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    OK - all you who have done this fun quilt. I have put all my hexagons on the design board and started making my strips that will then get sewn together.

    My question is...do you cut off the points after you make the strip? I know I wasn't supposed to cut them while sewing, but now I have long strips with ears sticking out on each side?

    Second question...if the strips aren't perfectly straight do you keep taking them apart and redo or do you straighten them by cutting?

    That is all I need to know for now...thanks.
    I don't cut off my points, but I don't know what the K-Queens (k3n & katrine) do. K3n has a you-tube tute about sewing the strips together you should check out. Whatever you do, don't cut anything. They may not seem straight because the bias has been stretched. You may be able to starch them back into submission.

  3. #3
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,888
    I can't find a tut that talks about sewing the strips together. I only saw one when I did a search. Any suggestions on how to find it?

  4. #4
    Super Member feffertim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, California
    Posts
    2,408
    Blog Entries
    14
    I have the same question

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,377
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here is the link to k3n's video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUnPD...=youtube_gdata

    This teaches you how to sew the strips together. She cautions you to be very careful NOT to stretch the bias edges. This is absolutely necessary while sewing the hexs together also. I think that is probably what happened to make your strips wonky.

    Can you post a pic of your strips?

  6. #6
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,888
    Thank you that was very helpful. She copied my OBW!! :lol: I am using that same fabric. Funny.

    I think you are right about the bias, I know I switched some of the triangles around because I liked the look better. I guess that was a no no.

    There are 2 issues one is that the row has a couple triangles that didn't line up. Pic 1. The other is probably the bias problem - wavy.

    one side didn't line up
    Name:  Attachment-135200.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  45.1 KB

    wavy
    Name:  Attachment-135201.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  75.1 KB

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,377
    Blog Entries
    1
    OK, for those that don't line up, then yes, I would take them apart and resew them. For the stretched ones, once the entire top is together you can probably starch them into submission again! :P :P

    It looks good. And I don't think she copied you. I sent her that fabric last year, and we started a group OBW. Here's the link:

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-92198-1.htm

  8. #8
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,888
    And I don't think she copied you. I sent her that fabric last year, and we started a group OBW. Here's the link:

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-92198-1.htm[/quote]

    I was trying to be funny....I just happen to buy the same fabric...I didn't see the other post either. Guess I just had good taste.

    I will work on the submission thing! Thank you SO MUCH.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,377
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    I was trying to be funny....I just happen to buy the same fabric...I didn't see the other post either. Guess I just had good taste.

    I will work on the submission thing! Thank you SO MUCH.
    Yeah, I know, I was just messing with you! :lol: If one edge is just a little off, you don't need to resew that one, just line them up the best way you can. When Kathryn and Katrine (the K-Queens) get up this morning they'll probably check in and give you more advice.

  10. #10
    Super Member Katrine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    OK - all you who have done this fun quilt. I have put all my hexagons on the design board and started making my strips that will then get sewn together.

    My question is...do you cut off the points after you make the strip? I know I wasn't supposed to cut them while sewing, but now I have long strips with ears sticking out on each side?

    Second question...if the strips aren't perfectly straight do you keep taking them apart and redo or do you straighten them by cutting?

    That is all I need to know for now...thanks.
    I don't cut off my points, but I don't know what the K-Queens (k3n & katrine) do. K3n has a you-tube tute about sewing the strips together you should check out. Whatever you do, don't cut anything. They may not seem straight because the bias has been stretched. You may be able to starch them back into submission.
    No, don't cut the points off in OBWs. They are helpful for matching up - actually the books say "don't" as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.