Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another question about Starch Re:Another question from a newbie

I have a question also-Do you know what our Grandmothers did, as to starch, before or after or at all?

I never starched my fabric for quilting before but I tried by using the sizing recipe and found the fabric was easier to cut and handle. I don't believe in washing the fabric before cutting the pieces but many do. Whatever turns them on, is okay with me.I have talked to expert quilters who told me they never do. Fabric loses its newness from washing I believe. If a fabric is wrinkled somewhat, a quick spray of starch would do wonders to handle it. Try it both ways and see what you like.

Carol J.

I use Best Press (which I think is technically a 'starch') when I'm doing the final seams to bring a top together. I find it helps everything stay flat during the pinning and quilting process.

First, they would have made their starch from flour and water if you want to go back far enough in time. Later from it would have been made from purchased(usually Niagara brand) dry starch powder which was added to water, boiled, cooled and then diluted to desired strength. The fabric would have been dipped in the starch, hung to dry, ironed, then cut to size with scissors and stitched. When the quilt was washed or rinsed the starch would have all come out. The quilt fabric would have been starched along with the weekly laundry and probably ironed with the weekly laundry as well. In between starching and ironing, it had to sprinkled, rolled up, let sit awhile for the moisture to be evenly absorbed through the fabric so that the (dry) iron could iron it. You also had to iron quickly, or to reapply moisture by wiping the starched garment/fabric with a damp washcloth or rag. I don't think anyone had a spray bottle.

I use Best press but I water it down and it still works. I buy it by the gallon on Mary Ellen's website. Depending on how much you order , you get free shipping. You can share a gallon Just have friends bring their sprayer. There are new fragrances and the non fragrance. The small bottles make great gifts!

That's an interesting question, and good information from TanyaL. I'd like to hear from some people who remember their grandmothers quilting. My only memory of that is playing - once - under a huge quilt frame in my grandmother's living room while she and members of her church quilted what I think must have been a signature quilt for a sick friend.

I don't believe starch was ever made from flour and water since flour and water make glue. Laundry starch was originally made from cornstarch.

Cornstarch has been around since the middle 1800s.

Blog Entries
    In asia, it's made from the liquid left over after you rinse the rice.

It can also be made from potatoes. This is an interesting article on starch, which has been around at least since 1390 - http://www.oldandinteresting.com/lau...h-history.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    It can also be made from potatoes. This is an interesting article on starch, which has been around at least since 1390 - http://www.oldandinteresting.com/lau...h-history.aspx
    That's a great article!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast