Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another question please.... >

Another question please....

Another question please....

Old 08-07-2014, 03:32 PM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Another question please....

My GGS is a STL Cardinals fan to the point where he made his parents paint his room in the new house red. :-) I have ordered enough STL Card fleece to use on one side of a quilt. What do I do with the other side? Do I make a quilt top like always? Do I need to put batting in it? How hard is it going to be to quilt on my home machine? Has anyone done this? Binding? Have I taken on more than I can handle? :-) Help!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

You can create a quilt top and have fleece backing, lots of us put fleece on the backs of our quilts. Batting is a personal choice. I always put batting in mine,but many people do not-might depend on the climate. How warm/heavy do you want the quilt to be? If you do not use batting you can do a minimum amount of quilting-just end to hold it all together, or you can just tie it. Fleece is not difficult to stitch through; I always use a nice,new sharp needle in the size appropriate for the thread I am using, loosen the top tension just a little and lengthen the stitch length.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 PM

I would just buy enough fleece in a solid color for the back and tie the ends like everybody does. It does not need quilting or batting. I have one and it is VERY warm with just two layers of fleece. I would wash both pieces of fleece first because when I first washed mine, it got kind of wonky. HTH
Old 08-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Quick and dirty - use two layers of fleece and tie.
If you want to sew a quilt, you can either see if you can find cotton Cards fabric or just use the Cards colors. I always use batting when I use fleece. I LOVE sewing with fleece, it's very forgiving and the stitches always look good. Have fun!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 PM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

You mean cut the edges all the way along and tie the two sides together? Or tie it in the middle? Or both?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM

I think I would use denim on the front. You can intersperse it with STL card cotton fabric. I will be starting on a quilt for a nephew whole lives in CO, and is a Giants fan. I will be making it with 6.5" squares of denim from old jeans, red fabric, and of course Giant fabric..
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM

My sister makes us all blankets from the fleece. She squares them and then binds them with a matching cotton, about a 3 inch binding. We LOVE the blankets, so soft and warm. We have them on our beds now for those cool summer nights. My husband actually commented how much he loves the blanket. He never notices anything! LOL I bet he would love a blanket like that for his bed.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Can't find cotton. I was told the trademarks (all sports) have only been in fleece for some time now.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:40 PM

You could make a very simple pieced top (with regular quilting cotton) of coordinating colors, no batting, layered with fleece and standard binding. It would be reversible and not too heavy.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:56 PM

I'm making my DGS a football quilt with fleece backing. No batting we live in FL :-) the front is a football field panel, then fabric with footalls printed all over and some border print that goes with the panel. They have baseball print fabric and baseball field panels as well as baseball bats, gloves and balls printed on fabric.