Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Quilt Retreat >

Another Quilt Retreat

Another Quilt Retreat

Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 AM

Default Another Quilt Retreat

I was interested in the replies to the Post about starting a quilt retreat as a business. I am also interested in doing the same thing, but many states away. I am 1/5 owner in a large 100 year old house that our family has lived in for 50 years, as my father past away this summer. It was originally built as a boarding house. My parents did a lot of upkeep on it. I can make six bedrooms(two on the main floor), 3 bathrooms, build a ramp in the back to get up easy with machines, and even create a separate sewing area, by enclosing the back porch, and designing it the way a quilter would with plenty of outlets and a design wall. My question is "If I build it, will they come?" I would buy my sisters out and have to put some money into it. There is not a real draw to the town by anything else, as it is in a small town, but it is on the interstate, and in a quiet safe neighborhood. I would not quit my day job as I think I can do both for now. My husband is very handy. I would advertise it as a weekend retreat, with a class on one weekend, open sew retreat the next, and two weekends available to private group retreats. I would do most of the cooking, as I have catered large events in the past. No bunk beds, each person would get their own bed, I may have to put in a few twin beds, but most would be full beds. I am thinking I would have 10-12 beds, as they are quite large rooms. Would ladies be okay sleeping on a twin bed? I would appreciate your feedback, now and in the future if I do carry out this adventure.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:36 AM

I have know idea if it would work. But the one I went to in Deer Lodge, MT has two twin beds in each room with a bathroom between two rooms. I don't remember how many rooms there were as it's been awhile since I have been there. The one I have been to has a quilt shop under a mile away and has the old prison available for tours. No one in our group did any of the history stuff but everyone did go to quilt shop. Every person brought one meal to cook for group and snacks stuff to share. I hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Are there any quilt shops or quilt guilds within driving distance? This will give you a idea of the number of quilters in the area. There is a small lodge on a lake near me. There is a very active quilt guild (150+ members) and a quilt shop about 25 miles away. The lodge has quilting retreats, but only enough participants for 2 or 3 a year. They have 2 people per room, twin beds. I think the first thing I would check on is the general business requirements for that area. Is it still zoned properly from when it was a boarding house? Would you have to do anything to the kitchen if you were preparing meals on site (health department). What types of insurance would you need to carry, liability etc? Your husband may be handy, but the electric might need to be done by a licensed electrician, especially with all those outlets for machines and irons. Would you have to add emergency exits to the upper floors? Would you have to have an accessible bedroom & bathroom? If you are just advertising, you would need to do some math and figure out the minimum number of guests you would need to open it for a weekend.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 09-21-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:44 AM

I wouldn't mind a twin bed but if you haven't acquired them yet, I would get the extra long twins. These are very comfortable for any size person. Where would your retreat take place? Would there be a long arm quilting machine available? You will need multiple cutting areas and ironing stations. Sounds exciting! Keep us posted!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:47 AM

Twin beds sound fine to me. Also quiet small rural settings can have lots of charm. Good luck to you!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I would check with local guilds and quilt shops to see if there is support located in your area. Yes, twin beds are fine.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:52 AM

I would go. I love retreats and twin beds work for me. We had a local retreat here and it was a lot of fun. The owner got sick so she had to close but we loved going there. Where would your be located?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:59 AM

Sounds great! The cost is a factor for me as well as location. Would you have guest teachers?
Old 09-21-2015, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I would certainly talk to a few retreat owners first. That is wonderful you have a big house. I love big houses.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:38 AM

What an exciting plan you have! My sisters and I are planning a bed and breakfast retreat next spring, so I have been looking online at that sort of thing. I see that some of them have quilting retreats, but they also have scrapbooking retreats, and family retreats. It might help to consider the diversification, since it might draw in from a different clientele.