Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another starch question >

Another starch question

Another starch question

Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 PM

I've read several threads on this forum about using starch.
This is something I've never done. I understand why so many of you use starch, but do you wash it out after the quilt is finished? I wash all my fabric before using and really don't relish the idea of washing the whole quilt when finished. On the other hand, I don't think I'd like the 'feel' of starched fabric.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 PM

I love using starch and even like the way my fabric feels after I use it. I also wash my quilts after they are done. I like the crinkly, old look they get when they are washed.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 PM

I'm a starch person too. I like the way my fabric looks when starched, I like the ease in cutting and has made my cuts more accurate. I always wash my quilts after I'm done if for no other reason, to wash the quilt markings out.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 PM

I think a lot of quilters here wash their quilts before giving them as gifts ... so the starch would wash out then.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I like to use sizing rather than starch. Not as stiff either.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 PM

I was told in a class that starching made it easier to machine quilt the blocks when completed. I've washed, dried, ironed and starched all of my material prior to cutting to get a good cut, make it easier to match up the pieces, and iron seams open after stitching them together.

It does seem to make a quilt come together more easily. Cotton so easily wrinkles that a starched piece holds a finger press much easier (and you can use the line created with a finger press as a stitching guide on an intricate pattern). It gets washed away when the quilt is completed and cleaned.

Pretty much it's personal choice.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

i ALWAYS wash my finished quilts...unless it's a wallhanging that will never be washed.
i want to make sure there are no surprises for the new owner of one of my quilts so i wash them, dry them then look them over well to make sure no seams have come loose, or applique fraying or just anything. i would not be able to sleep if i let a quilt go out the door i hadn't washed first...so, yes, i wash the starch out of the finished quilt. i wash my quilts how ever i believe the new owner is going to wash it. if it's a kids quilt and chances are it is going to be tossed into the washer and dryer with normal household detergent then thats what i do making sure it's going to be ok. i have a friend who never-ever washed her quilts when they were done, she was adament about them being crisp and new when she gave them...she made one for her daughter in law...the daughter in law washed it for the first time...some color ran (the quilter pre-washes everything) and part of the binding came loose...she was so horribly upset...totally afraid of letting her mil know, afraid to ever use the quilt again...it was almost 5 years before the quilter found out what had happened...
i do everything i can to avoid causing anyone such stress, if the colors are going to run or something is not quite right i want to be able to fix it before anyone else has to hide one of my quilts.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i ALWAYS wash my finished quilts...unless it's a wallhanging that will never be washed.
i want to make sure there are no surprises for the new owner of one of my quilts so i wash them, dry them then look them over well to make sure no seams have come loose, or applique fraying or just anything. i would not be able to sleep if i let a quilt go out the door i hadn't washed first...so, yes, i wash the starch out of the finished quilt. i wash my quilts how ever i believe the new owner is going to wash it. if it's a kids quilt and chances are it is going to be tossed into the washer and dryer with normal household detergent then thats what i do making sure it's going to be ok. i have a friend who never-ever washed her quilts when they were done, she was adament about them being crisp and new when she gave them...she made one for her daughter in law...the daughter in law washed it for the first time...some color ran (the quilter pre-washes everything) and part of the binding came loose...she was so horribly upset...totally afraid of letting her mil know, afraid to ever use the quilt again...it was almost 5 years before the quilter found out what had happened...
i do everything i can to avoid causing anyone such stress, if the colors are going to run or something is not quite right i want to be able to fix it before anyone else has to hide one of my quilts.
Well said! :)
Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
I totally agree. I wash just to make sure that the quilt will be okay and not fall apart from washing. (I have had it happen with store bought blanket) or bleed to death. I would feel horrible to send a quilt and have it ruin a load of laundery or fall apart.
I also starch the heck out of my fabric after pre-washing. It has helped in the accuracy of cutting and in piecing. I starch so heavily that when the starch has dried it can almost stand on it own. hehe. a little excessive I know but it works for me. will have to take pic of my latest starched fabric before I iron it out.

its all on its own.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108963[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108958.jpe