Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another vintage quilt top.  So fragile.  How to quilt it? >

Another vintage quilt top. So fragile. How to quilt it?

Another vintage quilt top. So fragile. How to quilt it?

Old 12-08-2016, 07:45 PM

Default Another vintage quilt top. So fragile. How to quilt it?

Here is the last another quilt top my mother-in-law had. The other was the Sun Bonnet Sue quilt I finished before she passed away a month ago. I would like to finish this one and give it to her daughter, my sister-in-law.

The fabric is very thin, but it is in perfect condition. How best should I quilt it? Would it be ok to tie it? I've never done a tied quilt, but I've read that that is a good process when the fabric is fragile. Where would I position the ties?

If I don't tie it, I would have to machine quilt it. In that case, what is the best way to machine quilt it?

As always, I appreciate your suggestions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563352[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bons-quit.jpeg  
Old 12-08-2016, 07:51 PM

how very pretty! I would probably machine quilt it so that there was more stablity and the quilting would distribute across the top and not just put "stress" where the ties are. Probably a simple design on t the HST--continous curves? And then something in the yellow squares (maybe a feather wreath?) Be sure to post once quilted--that is so pretty.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:34 PM

There's been some talk about using Tulle or organza or some type of netting over fragile fabric. This YouTube video would explain what I am talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gxv2dyRQAE

I wouldn't tie the quilt. IMO, that would put extra stress on the older fabric when moving the quilt around. Using the fine tulle over the original fabric and then machine quilting would seem to be the way to save the quilt top and allow use for years to come.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Power Poster

No suggestions but it's soooooo pretty! I love the fabrics and design. Hope we get to see it again after you quilt it.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
how very pretty! I would probably machine quilt it so that there was more stablity and the quilting would distribute across the top and not just put "stress" where the ties are. Probably a simple design on t the HST--continous curves? And then something in the yellow squares (maybe a feather wreath?) Be sure to post once quilted--that is so pretty.
I like this idea. but if you want simple, I would follow the lines of the bases of the triangles and maybe crosshatch the yellow areas
Old 12-09-2016, 05:37 AM
Banned

Being me, I would keep it vintage and hand-quilt it.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:29 AM

I would hand quilt that one for sure. I agree with Popover! If you are in Illinois I know a great group of hand quilters and we always welcome new members.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:02 AM

If the fabric is just thin, I wouldn't call it fragile. Fragile is a quilt that is fraying and has worn spots or holes. On this one, I would just do a stitch in the ditch 1/4" away and something pretty in the yellow squares. I agree hand quilting would be nice, but many vintage quilts I have from my grandmother (60-100 years old) are machine quilted. I do think a vintage style of quilting would be nice which is why I though a straight line quilting appropriate. As for tying, I think that is more for utility quilts than such a lovely pieced top. Regular quilting, fairly close together, will distribute the stress more evenly.

Pam
Old 12-09-2016, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
Being me, I would keep it vintage and hand-quilt it.
I agree. Also I agree with not tying it, that puts larger holes in the fabric. Have you thought about making a summer quilt out of it? And just use it for show?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:22 AM

Thank you for your suggestions.

Luvstoquilt, you gave me an idea. I know of a group of hand quilters in a town near me. I may take it there if I decide to hand quilt it.

I did think of using it (or others I have) as a summer quilt. How would I finish the edges?