Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anti-Fatigue Mats -will it affect my hardwood floor? >

Anti-Fatigue Mats -will it affect my hardwood floor?

Anti-Fatigue Mats -will it affect my hardwood floor?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

Default Anti-Fatigue Mats -will it affect my hardwood floor?

Does anyone know if anti-fatigue mats ruin hardwood floors? I would like to have one in my sewing room so I won't have to worry about water getting underneath it but for some reason I am thinking it is not good for the floor.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Well, I got a mat specially made for hardwood floors to use under my rolling chair. After several months use, I found that it abraded the whole area that it covered. It must have moved a bit each time I rolled the chair and acted like fine sandpaper over the entire area. Having said that, a friend got the same mat and it worked great. Might be something to do with the finish used on the floor. Don't know if an anti fatigue mat would do the same (move a bit each time you stepped on it) I'd try and see if there's one specifically for hardwoods, then check under it frequently!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM

I got a Wellness mat for my kitchen and like it a lot. I had a different one
before that and it would leave all kinds of black marks on the floor.
You get what you pay for.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I don't use rolling chairs. I have a regular 9x12' rug in the area where I sew and stand. That helps alot. No damage to hardwood.
I have the mat you want to use on the kitchen floor. Believe me water will and does get under it and makes it very slippery on the sheet vinyl flooring. My better half spilled water, I almost slid several feet.It is in front of kitchen sink. He didn't know he had spilled it. No attention to detail, is what I call it.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Lowes sold some nice anti fatigue mats in nice colors. I haven't had a slippage problem at all. It stays put. I have one in front of the sink and in front of the fridge and one for the kids bath. Sure saves knees when giving little ones a bath. They were expensive but the salesman said they would last for years. They are easy to clean too.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM

I don't have one (on my wish list) so I cannot answer your initial question. However, I do not believe I would use it under my rolling sewing chair. I do believe it would help lessen fatigue when cutting and ironing.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 PM

With any mat used under a rolling chair on hardwood floors it is a good idea to sweep under it regularly, especially if you live in a sandy area. I've found that sand gets everywhere, even places you never expected.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM

I use anti-fatigue mats, bought at Lowe's, in my sewing room. I use them at the cutting table, not under a rolling chair. The wheels would sink down and not roll I would think. However, my floor is painted concrete. The mat's help a lot.
Now, upstairs is hardwood and I have wondered about using one in the kitchen. I don't think it would be great for the wood so I've never done it. When I feel the material of the mat, it seems a little stickyish to me. However, could you adheare a material to the bottom of the mat, like a cotton? I've thought about doing that.