Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Antique quilts >

Antique quilts

Antique quilts

Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Do you own any antique quilts? I have 3 finished quilts and 2 tops that my grandmother made. Mom said she could remember coming home from school (in the 1920's/30's) and the quilting frame had been lowered from the ceiling and memere (french slang for grandmother) and some great aunts would be quilting. I certainly treasure those.
I also have purchased a few from antique shops and even one from a garage sale.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I have many antique quilts. They are treasures!! I got a little carried away though and haven't bought any in awhile.
Nobody in my family or my husband's family quilted. I've spent way too much!!
I have to say I'd rather have family quilts if I had the choice though.
The only thing I have is my grandmother's pillow shams that she embroidered her initials on. I treasure them. I also have a gorgeous silk shawl that family legend says she wore on the boat from Italy to America. But I truly doubt it !!! lol It's stunning and in perfect condition.
Good for you on your treasures!!!!!!! :D
Old 07-23-2010, 05:55 AM

We have four quilts that my DH's grandmother quilted...sadly I don't know all the history and they've not been taken great care of, so I have some work to do. I bought a beautiful Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt top, hand pieced several years ago and finished it and hand quilted it...in our many moves, somehwere along the line it has dissappeared...much sadness over that one...
Old 07-23-2010, 06:02 AM

I have several family antique quilts, just bought an antique doll quilt on a garage sale for 10 cents and it's in beautiful condition. I guess they didn't realize what they had. On the same garage sale I bought a beautiful, if somewhat tattered but fixable, regular size antique quilt for $5. I gifted it to the owner of Threads of Time as a "thank you" for providing us with such a lovely retreat center. She was thrilled with it and is going to restore it. The tiny stitches in the intricate quilting were phenomenal! I can't afford to buy the expensive ones but if I find them like that I can't pass them up. I love the restoration challenge myself but this one screamed Missy's name so I gave it to her.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:09 AM

No I unfortuntly do not own even one quilt of any kind. :-( I wish I did!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

My grandmother quilted. I remember sleeping under some of her quilts. I don't have any idea where they went. By the time I was a young teen they were all gone. I wish I could have had a least one of them. Sigh.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:28 AM

I have 5 my husband's grandmother worked on, but 3 of them are for our children when they have a place. I have purchased several vintage quilts and tops through ebay. One of my treasures is a scrappy grandmother's garden (no actual pattern of flowers) all hand stitched that I got for $30 at an antique mall. I had to buy it because I couldn't bear to think that someone who wouldn't appreciate all the work would buy it to use for something else! Now I am in the process of putting up racks to display them on.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 AM

I have over 200 quilts in my collection, some by me and most by unknow amazing quilters...
Please make sure you do not store your treasures in plastic or next to wood in cedar chest..they damage those older fibers.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 AM

I have several antique quilts. One is a sampler top that my grandmother gave me one year for Christmas. I took it to a lady in a local Amish community to finish and make bed ready. That was when I was working and didn't think I would ever be interested in quilting. Wrong! I now have have blocks that she made but never set together. I'm in the process of finishing those. I have also purchased tops from antique shops and other place to finish. I do hand quilting so I don't know if I'll ever get them finished. I really like the look of hand quilting on the old quilts. (and also new quilts).