Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Asian fabrics in your stash? >

Any Asian fabrics in your stash?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:04 PM

Yes I have Asian fabrics and I use them. This winter I made a quilt top using Asian fabrics. I hand pieced 48 kimono blocks which are made into a top and will soon be quilted.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:14 PM

I'm collecting them for a chinese lantern quilt. I love them but they don't mix that well with other fabrics imho
Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM

I participated in the oriental fabric block swaps and in addition to the extra of the fabrics I used there are some that I got but have not used yet. After I get the blocks from the swap sashed with black and put together, I'll figure out what else I want to make with these luscious pieces.

And I agree that they demand to be 'stars' of whatever they are used for.

The quilt picture link above by hobo2000 was a lovely way to showcase the beautiful fabrics used.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 PM

You betcha' My beautiful daughter-in-law is Chinese and she and my son have a 12 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I'm AfroAmerican and the two families are very close. Her mother and I have become "good buddies" and we spend a lot of time teaching each other about our cultures. You shoud see our dining tables at family dinners, enough to feed the neighborhood (and we often do) LOL.
She made her first half-square triangle quilt a while back, and I'm learning origami.
Asian fabrics mixed with Africentric pieces adorn her beds and walls.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

No, but I have an Asian husband stashed on the couch. Does that count?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM

I have a good many Asian fabrics.The problem is, what pattern to show them off? I'm thinking a simple pattern would be best to let them shine.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:07 PM

I only have a small stack of pre-cut 10" squares that I got in a bag at goodwill. I just havent gotten into Asian fabs yet.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM

Have several Asian type fabrics, just have not found the pattern that justifies cuttin them.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:35 PM

I have a few Asians. Generally speaking, I love them. I'm a sucker for gold highlights and Asians usually give those to me.

I have a problem with Asians though. Ever notice how much thicker they are than most other fabrics? It's especially noticeable when compared to a batik.

The problem is getting a uniform 1/4" seam when you mix different fabrics. I have to remember to change my needle position when sewing batik to batik, batik to regular cotton, batik to Asian, cotton to cotton, cotton to asian, and asian to asian!!

This may not seem like a big deal to most, but my favorite quilts are made from little pieces (1" square) ... NOW it makes a difference!! You can't just throw an Asian in with batiks in a bargello with 1/4" finished strips and expect the seams to match. Ask me how I know :)

So I tend to use all batik or all cotton. Asians don't lend themselves too well to 1" pieces either (why bother?).
Old 06-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Have some, made a lap quilt, and plan to make a bow tucks eventually