Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any hints for most economicial way - applique dies with the accuquilt and steam a seam? >

any hints for most economicial way - applique dies with the accuquilt and steam a seam?

any hints for most economicial way - applique dies with the accuquilt and steam a seam?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Notice I did not say Sunbonnet Dies this time.

What's the best way to use the applique dies so as to not waste fabric or the adhesive? Well, more so the steam-a-seam-I have enough fabric that I don't mind wasting a little. :)

Usually when I cut using the Go! I don't mind if I have a lot of scraps because I make crumb and strip blocks so nothing really goes to waste.

If I put the steam a seam on the back of the fabric before cutting, I won't be able to use the scraps for anything else. So I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to not waste the adhesive.

I was thinking about cutting out the fabric pieces then place them on the adhesive paper and fill up the page as much as possible and then press it all together. I'll be doing both SunBonnets and the cat and dog tomorrow.

Has anyone done it this way before?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM

I just bought some steam a seam and plan on doing the same...I will only iron on the area of where I am going to cut it with the die. I also have small circle die so I will cut my scraps that have any seam a sem left on them. I also have the feather die. For the sun bonnet sue I think I will try the Eleanor Burns method. use a one sided iron on...sew the fusing on the right side of fabric and then slit the middle of the fusing and turn it...like a pillow.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM

I tried that way once with the iron on interfacing and it didn't turn out well. I couldn't get it to turn inside out well. It was a mess. I wound up just cutting it off and have a little smaller Sunbonnet Sue.

Of course that was in the begining when I first started sewing seriously, maybe now I have more patience. I may even have some fusible...maybe I'll try it again.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Why not put your steam a seam thru the go by itself, which cuts exact shapes and then cut your fabric and then just iron on your cut shaped steam a seam to your precut fabric shapes...You can always use your waste steam a seam on smaller pieces to hold them down.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 PM

That's what I would do. I would even go so farn as to layer your fabric on top of it. That way everything is all lined up and you can take if off the die and press it.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by arizonagirl
That's what I would do. I would even go so farn as to layer your fabric on top of it. That way everything is all lined up and you can take if off the die and press it.
Even better...never thought of that shortcut...
Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Oh, you mean without pressing it? just stick it?

You know, I hadn't thought of that. Because it does have a little sticky-ness before pressing.

See, it's helpful to get several people's opinion.

Thanks