Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any ideas that can help a quilter with macular degeneration? >

Any ideas that can help a quilter with macular degeneration?

Any ideas that can help a quilter with macular degeneration?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 AM

My mother is 92 and has the dry macular. She has had cataracts removed from both eyes with no problems and it did help her eyesight. She has had to accept that her work is not very precise anymore and I always encourage her to go ahead and keep busy. She makes lots of small things like tablerunners and baby quilts for greatgrands. I help her by machine quilting anything she wants to gift. Her sight has stayed the same for several years, which is wonderful. We have come up with lots of the same helps mentioned here!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks for all the ideas! I think I am going to suggest she get a 2nd opinion on removing the cataracts. I like the idea of doing 1 eye and seeing (pardon the pun!) how it goes. If it can help her sew again, that would be so awesome! She has already cut down to smaller projects and ties her quilts. She has been trying different magnifiers, but with no success. I will look into the easy thread needles for her machine. That would alleviate what stops her most of the time from sewing. Thanks for giving my some hope and things to look into. It's been frustrating.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:47 AM

So sorry this is happening to your mom...has to be so hard for her. My aunt also has macular degeneration...she was a seamstress and a quilter all of her life. I know she was heartbroken when she could no longer sew, even with her daughter helping thread the needle...just got too frustrated with not being able to rethread it if it came unthreaded, couldn't sew straight anymore, cutting was too difficult, etc. I know she did a lot of books on tapes, and had some special kind of glasses to help her when she watched television. She is in a nursing home now, no longer was safe in her own home, even living with her daughter (who works outside of the home)...so hard for all.