Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Ideas How I Can Stretch My Canvas Leaders? >

Any Ideas How I Can Stretch My Canvas Leaders?

Any Ideas How I Can Stretch My Canvas Leaders?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:49 AM

Default Any Ideas How I Can Stretch My Canvas Leaders?

Last week I asked about how to remove permanent marker from the leaders on my new-to-me longarm and tried the suggestion to soak in OxyClean. It didn't work but the mixture wicked into the leader exposing smoke/nicotine stains on the leader. And I thought the canvas was just off-white. Gross! (I didn't notice a smoky smell until I set it up in my home - this confirmed it.)

Anyway, we washed them in the front loader in cold water and hung to dry. The velcro end that attaches to the poles didn't seem to shrink but the other end of the leader did shrink and now they won't roll evenly on the poles.

Do you have any ideas on how I can stretch the ends or if I will EVER be able to make them even again? Would spritzing the material with water, then stretching until they redry help?

Thanks,
Cathy
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 AM

I washed my leaders once and they shrunk considerably, but I washed them in scalding water. I wanted them to shrink as much as they ever could, so I could spot clean them in the future with no problems. Yours should have shrunk evenly. Since they didn't, I am thinking the Velcro which is stitched onto the free end kept that end from shrinking. You may need to remove the Velcro and repeat the washing process. It's a lot of work to wash leaders. Mine needed ironing, more ironing, still more ironing, and then even more ironing to get the wrinkles out. Took forever. But now it's done, and I can spot wash in the future if need be.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 AM

how bad is the shrinkage? Can you just cut off the unevenness to make them square? Yes, you'll lose some width, but you can still use them for practice and smaller quilts until you can make or buy new leaders.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Debra, I could possibly do this but would use it as a last resort. JustaBit - I think you might be right. The velcro edge wrinkled a bit as if it wanted to shrink. I think I'll pull off the velcro and re-wash and reattach it. Mine didn't take a lot of ironing and DH ran the washer - so it wasn't TOO bad. Thanks to both of you.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I think you answered your own question. Remove the velcro, rewash & reattach.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:31 PM

What about blocking it? You would need a lot of towels set up though.
Wash by hand getting it really wet. Stretch it out on the towels, pulling it as much as you can. Pin it to the towels and let it dry.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM

Default UPDATE - How to Stretch Quilt Leaders

Guess who has even leaders now??!!

I removed the velcro, rewashed and reattached the velcro and they are now even. The leader - even in cold water - shrank about 4 inches (that's how much extra length of velcro was lef on each strip after reattaching). Imagine my surprise at that.

Anyway, they're clean, smoke-free and I'm very happy.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Cathy