Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any ideas for a quilt back? >

any ideas for a quilt back?

any ideas for a quilt back?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Looks perfect to me! How about just getting a 'dalmation' (spotty print fabric for the backing? Babies seem to love dots!

Yep, that would be perfect!!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:07 AM

I made a quilt last year and bought a sheet, tie-dyed it (rinsed it really well) and used that for the backing. The recipient really liked it as she said either side looked great. I used tie-dye colors that were the same as in the fabric that I used for the front. Other than that I have given 2 quilt tops that I didn't get finished in time and took them back to quilt. That went over very well.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM

I have never tie dyed, but that is a really good idea. Might not use it for this quilt, but I think I will keep that in mind. I am slowly making decisions... I have changed to use the solid teal as the back instead of the read. (the solid teal is the border material). I made a row of a herringbone pattern using the red and the blue fire truck pattern. Its about 5-1/2" wide. I think I will put that horizonatally, and I am thinking about doing a vertical row as well.. just don't know if I want to stick with the herringbone pattern or mix it up and throw something else in? Since the backing will be teal that opens the applique back up.. I will have the red fabric to do a fireman's helmet.. maybe we'll see how brave I am Thanks for all of your thoughts.. every idea helps me a long and even if I don't use it now I keep it in mind for my next project
Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 AM

You could run some red bias strips in loops and squiggles across the back and where it ends, put a hose end on it. Simple. I would use Elmer's glue for the placement, then hand stitch it down while watching TV one evening.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:12 AM

madamekelly - that is a good idea with the hose. I kept thinking there should be an easy way to do a hose. I will have to practice and see if I can do a "hose end" sounds simple I know, but I am limited to my own skills here Thank you
Old 11-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Looking at the fire trucks how about making the back with a ladder going up the center? Use the red fabric for the back with a white ladder. You could even applique a boy firefighter by or on the ladder.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:15 PM

Forgive my drawing, but here is a simple hose pipe end for you.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Try finding a really elementary coloring book and copying a fire truck and using the fabric of your choice and fusing it to the back and quilting it down. That would simple, quick, and would echo the ideas from the front.