Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any input on the Janome 500e embroidery only machine >

Any input on the Janome 500e embroidery only machine

Any input on the Janome 500e embroidery only machine

Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 AM

Default Any input on the Janome 500e embroidery only machine

I'm looking for some input from anyone that has the new Janome 500e embroidery only machine - what you think of it. Have you had one of the older Janome embroidery machines and how do you compare them. I have a Janome 300e and like it but I do like a lot of the features on the 500 that I don't have - such as being able to hook it to the computer and/or use a flash drive, the cutter, cutting jump stitches and of course a buggy - the larger hoops. Would you ever consider buying online? Or only from a dealer - regardless of price? Do all dealers have to charge the same price?

I'd love to hear anything your have to say about them or anything you've heard about them - pros and cons. If you have one of the older ones, do you feel like you need the 500. Of course I understand if we had only the things we NEED, we wouldn't have much in our sewing rooms - LOL.

Thank you!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Just remember, you will need to have this machine service. I have bought my machine at quilt shows (yes, before the internet) and that is where I think the best deals can be had. Good Luck.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 AM

I bought a embroidery only machine online and I loved it. I even talked to the person on the phone before I bought it of course I did not get any free lessons just had to wing it.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:05 AM

Going to a workshop tomorrow that will have these machines. I'm pretty sure they are awesome,but I already have the 15000 and had a 350e (awesome machines) so I don't need another, but I am going for the anita goodesign workshop.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Banned

I've had the 200e and the 350e(same as your 300 but with USB capability) for a few years and love them so when the 500e came along with the bigger hoops I had to get it. I love, love, love it. The hoops are 5.5 and 8 inch square, 5x7 and 8x11 inch rectangle. At some point they're coming out with some smaller hoops for it, they are already there in the machine but you can't choose them, I'm assuming there will be a software update when they become available. There is a learning curve to using it as there are some differences between it and the older machines. If you can get it from a dealer do it so you can get at least the basic class. Threading it is different from the older machines. It comes with two bobbin cases, the yellow dot case for normal embroidery and another case for doing FSL or other techniques where you use a heavier bobbin thread. It also comes with an editing software that you can use with your other machine as well. The software in the machine can do so much more than the older machines, just read the manual thoroughly and you'll have a blast with it. I do.
You do not have to have it serviced if you're comfortable with doing it yourself. One of the most awesome things about the 500 is that there is several pages in the manual that show you how to service this machine. The dealer I bought mine from tried to tell me I had to rip these pages out of the manual because they were put in by mistake. I called her on it because I knew it was B.S. and finally got her to back track and admit it wasn't true. She was just worried about losing service business. I don't take my machines to her anyway, I've been doing my own service on all my machines for years.
I say go for it, you'll love this machine.

Cari
Old 04-28-2016, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I've had the 200e and the 350e(same as your 300 but with USB capability) for a few years and love them so when the 500e came along with the bigger hoops I had to get it. I love, love, love it. The hoops are 5.5 and 8 inch square, 5x7 and 8x11 inch rectangle. At some point they're coming out with some smaller hoops for it, they are already there in the machine but you can't choose them, I'm assuming there will be a software update when they become available. There is a learning curve to using it as there are some differences between it and the older machines. If you can get it from a dealer do it so you can get at least the basic class. Threading it is different from the older machines. It comes with two bobbin cases, the yellow dot case for normal embroidery and another case for doing FSL or other techniques where you use a heavier bobbin thread. It also comes with an editing software that you can use with your other machine as well. The software in the machine can do so much more than the older machines, just read the manual thoroughly and you'll have a blast with it. I do.
You do not have to have it serviced if you're comfortable with doing it yourself. One of the most awesome things about the 500 is that there is several pages in the manual that show you how to service this machine. The dealer I bought mine from tried to tell me I had to rip these pages out of the manual because they were put in by mistake. I called her on it because I knew it was B.S. and finally got her to back track and admit it wasn't true. She was just worried about losing service business. I don't take my machines to her anyway, I've been doing my own service on all my machines for years.
I say go for it, you'll love this machine.

Cari
Thank you so very much Cari for all your input - exactly what I was hoping to hear. I think I may be going to a dealer on Saturday to see if he has one out for trying it out. I also want to see what he would give me on a trade-in with my 300. It works just perfect. I am thinking I may do better trying to sell it on my own - EBay or Craigslist.

I question - is it very much heavier than the 350e? Thanks! I'm beginning to get excited about it now.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM

I'm curious how much the 500s are going for. I might be interested in trading in my 350e!!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Banned

It is heavier than the 300/350 and quite a bit bigger, I mean a lot bigger, especially with the extension table in place. To my knowledge there isn't even a case that it will fit into because of the size of the carriage arm. Right now mine is sitting on two vintage machine cabinets set back to back.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]548866[/ATTACH]
I have no clue whether or not a dealer will take your 300 for a trade in. The SewItsForSale Yahoo group is a great place to sell your machine though.

Deb, I've seen them go for $1999 to $2399. One thing to think about before you trade in the 300/350 though - If you use the tiny hoop (the optional free arm hoop) a lot, keep your machine. The 500 as far as I know isn't going to have a hoop that small. while I love the larger hoops on the 500, I'm gonna keep my 350 because I use that tiny hoop quite a bit. My 200 has both the 5.5 and the 2 inch hoop and I used both of them equally as often. That machine will either be sold or given to one of my girls.

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032386.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
It is heavier than the 300/350 and quite a bit bigger, I mean a lot bigger, especially with the extension table in place. To my knowledge there isn't even a case that it will fit into because of the size of the carriage arm. Right now mine is sitting on two vintage machine cabinets set back to back.

I have no clue whether or not a dealer will take your 300 for a trade in. The SewItsForSale Yahoo group is a great place to sell your machine though.

Deb, I've seen them go for $1999 to $2399. One thing to think about before you trade in the 300/350 though - If you use the tiny hoop (the optional free arm hoop) a lot, keep your machine. The 500 as far as I know isn't going to have a hoop that small. while I love the larger hoops on the 500, I'm gonna keep my 350 because I use that tiny hoop quite a bit. My 200 has both the 5.5 and the 2 inch hoop and I used both of them equally as often. That machine will either be sold or given to one of my girls.

Cari
Somewhere on one of the threads I read that the foot print on the 500 is 24 x 27 - would you say that it right? I need to do some measuring to see how it would fit where I would have to put it. TIA
Old 04-30-2016, 05:55 AM

Cari, thanks so much for the wonderful information. I just love my 350e, so I haven't actively pursued getting the 500...although I've been tempted. I didn't realize how big it is, but I have enough room for it. I think it's time to take a test drive on a 500. Thanks!!!