Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any left handed quilters out there? >

Any left handed quilters out there?

Any left handed quilters out there?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Us Leftys have always lived in a Right-Handed world, and have learned to adapt. I think that phone booths (remember those?) were always very difficult for the leftys. As far as quilting goes, I use all the tools that everyone else does and get along just fine.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:15 PM

I'm a lefty and as everyone else says, I make do. I have always found my way in anything I do. I'm sure your daughter will do just fine.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 PM

Debbie has a class on craftsy called Cut To It and she talks about cutting for a left handed quilter, might be worth the money to have that skill, might be hard to learn from you if you are not sure how to teach her how to cut.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:29 PM

Thank you for your responses. She lost interest. Too boring and too fussy for her.

I think quilting is something a person has to really really love.

Big commitment to finish a quilt.

If you don't really love it all the time you have to take to get halfway decent at it might seem daunting.

Maybe when she's older.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:26 PM

Watch utube videos from missoire star quilt company. Lefthanded tutor. This may help you both. Only area I think a definite difference is the rotary cutter needs setting up opposite way.

Don't freak out its a small problem.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:27 PM

I'm a righty and am constantly knocking stuff off the table, too. I have warned DH not to put anything he values on the table because when I'm sewing, I won't get up to move it for him.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:27 AM

As a lefty, just teach. She will be able to adapt having to adapt all her life.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

My sister is left-handed. I have a cousin who is my age and also left-handed. When we were in school we had a nun who was also left-handed. Our priest was right-handed and tried to get the southpaws to write right handed. He had us working on an assignment and Elaine was using her left-hand. He yanked that pencil out of her hand and yelled at her. Said only ignorant people wrote with their left hands. Our teacher quickly walked into the room and gave Elaine her pencil back. Sister look at the priest and said, "If she used her toes on her left foot to get the work done then it's getting the work done that matters." The priest complained to the diocese about the incident and he was immediately transferred. Seems the bishop was southpaw. Elaine later became a surgeon.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

My DH is a southpaw. He prints with exception of signing his name. once in a while he uses his right hand when working with some machinery. I always thought lefties were interesting people. A lot of different videos out there for lefties. Just Google!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I've had no problem living in this right-handed world. Grew up with right-handed scissors, so I am used to it. The only thing I would say is kind of what Cari said. I pin from the left. She may want longer pins to be able to reach them when they get up close to the needle.