Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
For the ladies who think hand quilting is the only "real" way to quilt, I say if our great great grandmothers had had sewing machines, they would have used them too. Besides, I feel quilts are more secure and therefore last longer if they are done on the machine. I think it is a healthy attitude to want our quilts used and used up, it's a perfect excuse (as if I needed one) to make MORE.
I agree that we should all do what makes us happy. We had a saying in the 60s "Different strokes for different folks". Works for me!
Actually, they had sewing machines in the 1800's and people did use them to quilt. There are a few examples at the Quilt Museum in Lincoln, Neb.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltlady37
I was at my first quilt retreat and working on a quilt done in Amish colors. Everytime this one woman walked by where I was sitting she would say, in a nasty way, "Intense!!" She did it so many times that now my friend that was with me just has to say "intense" when we are working on something and we burst out laughing.
You should have looked at her, then at her quilt, and said "Yep, I just don't like boring and blah". Then ignored her. LOL
Old 07-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I saw a quilt being displayed at a store - it was NAILED to the wall - and it was pulling at the nails and looked like it might be getting ready to tear from the weight of the quilt.
I did tell the owner/manager that the quilt was "in danger" being displayed that way. Whether he ever did anything about it - I don't know - but he gave me the impression that he really hadn't known any better and hadn't noticed that it was pulling..

When I was traveling I wanted to hang my avatar quilt on a wall, but I was in an apartment and couldn't put anything larger than pins on the wall. I went to the LQS and asked what they did. It was a large shop in Albuquerque. Great store. The owner showed me how they hung their quilts (and there were lots). They used push-pins. If you push it through the fabric carefully, near the binding, it won't tear any threads. You can hang even a king-sized quilt without damage to the walls or quilt with about 6 (the larger the quilt, the more the pins). I've done that ever since. Every single one of my quilts are hung that way. And so are several in the LQS here.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
Originally Posted by DianD
There are people everywhere who tend to carry a "frank license." Where they get them, I don't know! Seem people will attack over the silliest things. In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you? Aren't you ever going to grow up?" My personal favorite is "Who has the problem, you or your husband?" I used to cringe, but now I say," Well, I did have 6 children, but they were noisy and wanted to eat all the time, so I just dropped 'em off out in the country!" By the time they have recovered, I've turned on my heals and walked away!
Went grocery shopping on a low budget week years ago, and was running a total on paper. Grouchy old lady comes up behind me, looks over my shoulder and says loudly "Why not just buy a calculator?" I turned around and said, "Why not just mind your own business?" Her husband burst out laughing and said to his wife, "She sure told you!"
People don't scare me anymore!
My parents had 5 daughters, several were tomboys. One neighbor yelled at Mom and told her she had too darn many kids. My mom yelled back over the fence with "OK, you tell me which ones I should drown." Neighbor left us alone after that.
My mother used that one too! There are eight of us - four of each. She also used to ask which one she should shoot :lol: :lol:
Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
Originally Posted by QBeth
Not to put a bad rap on my home territory but those "quilt police" are lucky they don't live in the Northeast! No sugar and honey up here when it comes to rudeness. :-)
Ok, let's not bash Northeasterners. Some of us are very nice up here!
Granted! Wouldn't live anywhere else although I love to travel to other States. I just meant we don't put up with some types of behavior.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:11 AM

I guess it takes all kinds to make up this world, doesn't it. My parents had 7 children and we are all still living; the problem is that we are scattered now all over the USA - thank goodness for the internet. My husband is an only child. I won't go into that.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by penski
wow after reading the other post i am wondering are all the women in your town very aggressive or do you just attract people like that !!!!!
i would make a quilt that says keep your opinions to yourself and dont touch or talk to the person holding this quilt !!!
neither of the instances happened where i live, the one at the air show was 100 miles away, the one with my granddaughter is about 40 miles from me...totally different areas, people, the only similarities are both times it was the 4th of July weekend...3 or 4 years apart...so i dont' think i attract this type of person, the gd incident i stepped into, the incident this year was directed toward me...
Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Kill with kindness, (being from the South, raised in a Southern Baptist Church with the ladies group running the town, I learned from the best). When you encounter rude had no raising people, always answer with How Kind of You in the sweetest stickiest voice you have. That is when others either draw near or run for their life. LOL This happened to me about machine quilting wasn't real quilting from a hateful woman. ____ How kind of you to let me know my quilt is not real. I swear, all the quilt classes I have taken, all the national quilt shows I have been to and not one person as ever told me that machine quilting made a quilt not real. I would like for you to come to my quilting quild and explain to our award winning quilters what is a real quilt. Let me have your name and number and I'll have our program director give you a call...never let up talking while you steer her out the door or room. The How Kind of You gives your mind the time to start forming long running sentences to get that person out and gone. I hear my DDs, now adults, start out with How kind of you....I know they can handle anything!
I read this reply and an hour later I was at my friends house (93 y/o) showing her a quilt I had put together and said something about hand tie'g the quilt and she came back with "now thats a real quilt".....you understand my mind did a flash back to what you had wrote. I have to think that there generation does not understand "new" technology
Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dodee
I guess it takes all kinds to make up this world, doesn't it. My parents had 7 children and we are all still living; the problem is that we are scattered now all over the USA - thank goodness for the internet. My husband is an only child. I won't go into that.
Better to leave some things alone. My husband had NINE sisters (and every one of them had a brother).
Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Kill with kindness, (being from the South, raised in a Southern Baptist Church with the ladies group running the town, I learned from the best). When you encounter rude had no raising people, always answer with How Kind of You in the sweetest stickiest voice you have. That is when others either draw near or run for their life. LOL This happened to me about machine quilting wasn't real quilting from a hateful woman. ____ How kind of you to let me know my quilt is not real. I swear, all the quilt classes I have taken, all the national quilt shows I have been to and not one person as ever told me that machine quilting made a quilt not real. I would like for you to come to my quilting quild and explain to our award winning quilters what is a real quilt. Let me have your name and number and I'll have our program director give you a call...never let up talking while you steer her out the door or room. The How Kind of You gives your mind the time to start forming long running sentences to get that person out and gone. I hear my DDs, now adults, start out with How kind of you....I know they can handle anything!
I worked in an emergency room for 15yrs and when I would teach new nurses/emt's how to deal with difficult people the 1st rule was always 1. "They can't argue/fight with you if you are agreeing with them." Seems like your "how kind of you....." is the same technique. Works like a charm everytime! The person is usually so confused when I'm finished with them, they're just nodding their heads. And ready to get away from me. LOL