Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any recommendations >

any recommendations

any recommendations

Old 08-13-2015, 11:27 AM

Default any recommendations

We will be on holiday in Sept in the Phoenix area and Tucson can anyone recommend places to visit.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:33 AM

Tombstone (near Tucson) is really interesting. My oldest daughter lives in Phoenix. ;-)
Old 08-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

There is a great quilt shop outside PHX called Arizona Quilts:
http://www.azquilts.com/?tracking4=shopdisplay
Old 08-13-2015, 03:41 PM

Sedona is north of Phx a couple hours. Its cooler and gorgeous! Grand Canyon is always a winner..about 3 1/2 hours from the city. If you went over night or a couple days, you could do both. Quilt shops? We have a few! Arizona Quilts, SunValley quilts, 35th ave Sew and Vac to name a few on the west side. Quiltz (north central), 3 Dudes (south of down town- right off I-10 on the way to Tucson) Many more! Talliesin West (Frank Lloyd Wright's summer residence, still a working architecture school) in Scottsdale. My fav place nr Tucson is Desert Museum. part botanical garden, part desert zoo. They have a humming bird aviary. THE BEST! Had a hummer hover right in front of my face, then land close by and chip chip chip at me. I won't be in town early Sept, but would be glad to answer any questions I can. Feel free to PM me.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:06 PM

Beth is right. Sedona is a must see. Mexico is not that far away and if you decide to go to Tucson, it's a quick trip from there. If you decide you want to do that make sure you have your passport with you. One of my favorite sites here in Phoenix is the Heard Museum. It's in downtown Phoenix and well worth the time and admission. There are artifacts from various cultures, art, music, and crafts to take part in. Its just an all around pleasurable experience. And if you have kids with you, it's also educational but don't tell them. Jan in Az.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:54 PM

be sure to check out Karchner caverns, the desert museum is wonderful, we have several great quilt shops too. Don't know Phoenix but lots here in Tucson
Old 08-15-2015, 06:21 AM

Plane graveyard down toward Tucson. Just depends on who is with you and how long you are staying. The Music Instruments Museum in north Phoenix. Google for more ideas. Sept is still fairly hot in the desert. It doesn't really "cool" off until after Halloween-ish. Up North is cooler of course.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:58 AM

Thank you everyone, we are so looking forward to it as we have had a very wet and cold summer in Scotland. We have been to Phoenix before but it will be our first time in Tucson, I am really looking forward to visiting your quilt stores as there are only a few in Scotland and they are very expensive.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:15 AM

Lots to do down here. Though 'm not sure if you were talking quilt stores or sites to see.

Quilt stores: 35th ave sew & vac [the largest fabric collection here], 3 dudes are right up there.

All the above sites, including the national instrument museum in north Scottsdale, if you are so inclines.

Sedona is beautiful and lots to do, also has a nice quilt store and gallery.

Enjoy, wear sunscreen, and carry water.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:34 PM

went to Phoenix for 1st time a year ago--loved the Botanical Gardens and you must go to the large 35th Ave Sew & Vac--I'd heard it was great and it was! Be sure to leave some space in your luggage to take home some fabric--think my one case was about 10lbs heavier on the way home!