Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Sunshine 16 Sit down model owners out there? >

Any Sunshine 16 Sit down model owners out there?

Any Sunshine 16 Sit down model owners out there?

Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 AM

According to the website, a machine with handle bar comes with:
Variable speed control located on the front of the control box
On/off button on the handle bar
Handle bars can be used on front or back of machine by simply loosening the mounting bracket and rotating over

Originally Posted by LindaR View Post
I tested the sunshine 16 in GR at the quilt show, I really want the sitdown model too. I have a juki on a Grace quilting frame. I am lousie on quilting on a regular machine without a frame, so don't know if the HQ would be good for me or not. I can't remember what the cost was at the show cuz I tried all the models but free shipping if ordered within 30 days of show. I would have to get rid of my grace frame. the 16 was $1700 alone to fit on my frame. The only problem is you would have to use a footpedal and I can't find a way to get around that. now I have a HQ handihandles that I have a off/on and speed control.... questions/questions LOL
Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 AM

I was really impressed with the woman when I spoke with her on the phone a few weeks ago. She was really nice and invited me to come look at them and see how they're made, etc. I might take my husband with me to go check it out. Part of me wants to get it with the frame and just set up the frame when I need to quilt large things and get the table top for the extra $100 for the rest of the time when I'm doing smaller things. She said that I could use the handle bar machine on a table but the handles would just have to stay on the machine while it's on the table which is a small sacrifice for flexibility.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I had not heard of this machine, so Googled for reviews and information. It seems to me that there are comments about tension problems, which is about the last thing I want to deal with when I am FMQing, so that puts me off a bit. It is an extremely small company too, and the warranty is more limited than on most sewing machines. Although the price is wonderful, I guess my inclination would be to stick with the tried-and-true even though they are more expensive.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:57 AM

I've emailed a few people that own it and I'm going to join that yahoogroup and see what other users say about it.
I did find a person here who had it but sent it back due to tension issues.

I'm also going to be going to the Birmingham quilt show next weekend. I'm hoping to try out some sit downs there but I suspect that it will be all framed models. At the show here in Huntsville I only saw framed machines at the show. I'm hopeful though that I'll get to check one out. I still might cruise out to Tennessee and check out the 16 in person. I think I'll bring the thread that I normally would use for my quilting with me to see how the machine likes it. I really don't want to buy a finicky machine. I've heard of some machines not liking most threads.

Last edited by Yarn or Fabric; 09-16-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 AM

I have a Sunshine 16 and had tried it at a quilt show then saved to buy one. It was the worst investment I have ever made. It shake the tension and you start off great and then you get many eyelashes in your work and have to pull it out. I called for help and was told I was not a good Free Motion sewer and there is nothing wrong with the machine. Mine now wastes room in my studio and collecting dust. It is not worth the cost and I will never buy cheap again.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:56 AM

I recently saw one of these for sale. Never heard of them. Wow!