Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Tips for a beginner FMQ-er? >

Any Tips for a beginner FMQ-er?

Any Tips for a beginner FMQ-er?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Oz

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Oz ... "4) I read on the QB to raise the feed dogs. The main part of my quilt was done with them lowered. Accidentally I started my last practice piece and didn't lower them and found the stitches were very even."

It's ...
Feed dogs up for quilting with your walking foot.

Feed dogs down for FMQ with your darning foot on.
Ah, but somewhere I read on the Board (or at least thought I did) to leave the feed dogs up for FMQ. Worked like a charm - more even stitches. I couldn't believe it. Most of the quilt I did was FMQ with them down but I like the way the quilt looks where I FMQ with them up. I know it's strange but it really worked. But like I said, I'm just learning.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM

Greetings Elizabethan, our LQS that I work in, has a Batik Stash Club (Monthly pkg of 6 fat quarters of batiks, $22.50 per month) I call it the BS Club, anyways, we alway put in a coupon or pattern or recipe or something, anyways I put in a suggestion for a "Stippling Cocktail" yes with booze !!! The cocktail seems to take the tension off, you relax a little bit and the FM isn't so intense. (Not too sure if I would recommend stippling and drinking all day long !!!) lol Although I did have a customer say that she took my advice to have a drink while she was stippling, she said it went real well, and after the second bottle (not to sure what size of bottle she was talking about), she just didn't care, and hadn't looked at her work in the morning to see how she had done. LOL...... Oh ya, this could be a mess !!!ha ha Auntie B in Saskatchewan.