Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Viking Sapphire owners out there? >

Any Viking Sapphire owners out there?

Any Viking Sapphire owners out there?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:50 PM

sorry I have a Platnium 750. But saying that, have you tried using one of those extension spool holders that go on the side of your machine. Perhaps it just needs to feed the thread a bit higher off the spool before going through the machine. My machine prefers sewing that way much better than using the spool pin attached to the machine.

I have used the different varigated threads in my machine without many problems
Old 06-17-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Look at the top of the spool and pull it up. If it is a pop top it will come in half. It holds the thread in place on a new spool instead of the little cut the cheaper spools have.
Now I know what you mean. The older style spools have the bumpy edge that my thread always got caught on. my hubby looked at me like i was nuts when i took the nail file to it one day to smooth it out! LOL

Quilting Aggi had an interesting recommendation on where to place the spool. I'll have to try that too.

I guess I got spoiled that my old Viking worked well with any thread I tried. I will have to learn the quirks of the new machine and just go with it.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:54 PM

I have a Sapphire 830 and I had lots of little issues the first days. I have used different threads and had different issues but you know what I think the main culprit seems to be for me? When I have literally been sewing for hours straight doing speed piecing it just starts acting up until I quit. I think it's getting hot or something and the left end where the light is gets very warm.

I find that I need to re-thread everything when the bobbin gets messed up. I have also found that sometimes the bobbin thread comes out from between the tiny little metal guides.

I am expecting an order of Essentials thread ANY DAY NOW (sheesh I've been waiting and waiting) so I will have to see how it likes it.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:54 PM

I have a Sapphire 870....last week I went to a "foot"" demo......when I mentioned problems with some threads she showed me....if you raise the handle on your machine you can see some little rectangle holes.....guess what? you can BUY special thread holders that fit into those holes...then the larger thread spools will fit nicely on them and should help with the way the thread feeds through your machine. apparently the Sapphire is the same body as most of their embroidery machines so it has alot of the same hiccups, but not as many of the advantages.... Personally I HATE the way this machine loads a bobbin.(I have had a Lily 540 for years) ...and I don't really like the way the foot slightly lifts each time you stop sewing when in the needle down position.....BUT.....I DO REALLY LIKE the 10" harp area......I guess it's a give & take world.... usually I use a gutermann or a mettler 50 weight for piecing, and a 40 weight for machine quilting....HTH
Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Wow, I just looked for those holes, yes they are there. I wonder how much the attachment costs.
I like that it lifts the foot a little when you stop with the needle down. It is nice for turns and chain piecing.
What I dislike is how low the machine sits. Makes it difficult to change to a walking foot and to thread the needle.( I have never figured out how to use the needle threader.) It is just to hard to fit your hand under it.
I dont like the bobbin winder either, sometimes it just dosnt want to grab the thread onto the bobbin.
The 10 inch throat is wonderful.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Wow, I just looked for those holes, yes they are there. I wonder how much the attachment costs.
I like that it lifts the foot a little when you stop with the needle down. It is nice for turns and chain piecing.
What I dislike is how low the machine sits. Makes it difficult to change to a walking foot and to thread the needle.( I have never figured out how to use the needle threader.) It is just to hard to fit your hand under it.
I dont like the bobbin winder either, sometimes it just dosnt want to grab the thread onto the bobbin.
The 10 inch throat is wonderful.
I love the needle threader on my Platnium and don't have any trouble with it. I've had my machine for 4 1/2 years now and love it!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:37 AM

If you try using the needle threader just make sure your needle is in the highest position, or you may break the teensy metal hook off like one lady in my class. I have used it but find it rather fiddly.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
If you try using the needle threader just make sure your needle is in the highest position, or you may break the teensy metal hook off like one lady in my class. I have used it but find it rather fiddly.
I broke the needle threader on my Platinum. Someday, I'll go check the cost on replacing the part. But I don't have enough trouble threading it by hand, yet.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:45 AM

I love the needle threader but sometimes it is "fiddly" because the thread won't come off the tiny hook. I found that if I pull it through and then move the mechanism almost all the way up smoothly, then let it go, that the little jolt of it springing back gets the thread off the hook.

It is very hard to get your hands in there, the space is so narrow.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by katier825
the top thread looks fine, but the bobbin thread is bunching up - and once it gets going it looks like long eyelashes on the backside. i've rethreaded a few times, then gave up for awhile. it was working fine when i had coats & clark dual duty thread in it. nice (fairly) even stitches on the front and back with no or very small "eyelashes". i have an appt with the dealer tomorrow. i'll bring it with me and see what advice i get from her too.
Katier:
I do not have a Viking but do have a tempermental Janome and this happens to me sometimes too when I change threads. I have to adjust the thread tension and that seems to help. Sometimes if the thread tension is too loose it will do this on my machine. Drives me crazy!