Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody ever used Hobbs Heirloom Fusible? >

Anybody ever used Hobbs Heirloom Fusible?

Anybody ever used Hobbs Heirloom Fusible?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 AM

It's on the last inside page of the latest Hancock catalog and is only 21.98 for the queen size batting. It sounds like it might really be something I could use, but I'm still not sure.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

ive not used one that big-
i only use fusable batts for small projects- like table toppers or tote bags...i've not had any luck with fusable batts on a larger scale.
the hobbs batts are nice batts.
if that is a good price for a queen fusable batt i'd say give it a try-if you are considering it.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM

This is my favorite batting if I'm trying to quilt something that hasn't got the greatest piecing. Or maybe a top has been washed and dried in the dryer and is a mess on the back.

The fusible really beats a misbehaving top into submission. I try to set up my big 8' square makeshift basting table to do it, so that I can get it as smooth as I possibly can before I start ironing. I either start at one edge and fold it up as I go, or if I can reach the middle, I start from the middle and work outwards all around.

Then you have to turn it over and iron the backing fabric.

It adheres better if the fabric is not starched.

It's unbeatable for small quilts, but I've used the entire queen size batt on a couple of quilts, piecing around the edges where necessary. I usually don't put the borders on a king size quilt until the main area is quilted, and if you don't need the fusible feature in the borders, you can just use strips of 80/20 and pin. I like fusible for everything, though.

I do add a few pins around the edges - I fold the backing fabric to the front and cover the outside half-inch of the top with the backing to protect the edges and keep it from coming apart.

I quilt everything on my domestic sewing machines and I think the stiffness of the fusible helps me move the quilt around. After you wash the quilt, it becomes as soft and drapey as a quilt made with 80/20.

I stock up on it at Connecting Threads when it's on sale for 30% off. It's on sale right now, at $16.09 - plus you get free shipping on orders over $50. :)
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
This is my favorite batting if I'm trying to quilt something that hasn't got the greatest piecing. Or maybe a top has been washed and dried in the dryer and is a mess on the back.

The fusible really beats a misbehaving top into submission. I try to set up my big 8' square makeshift basting table to do it, so that I can get it as smooth as I possibly can before I start ironing. I either start at one edge and fold it up as I go, or if I can reach the middle, I start from the middle and work outwards all around.

Then you have to turn it over and iron the backing fabric.

It adheres better if the fabric is not starched.

It's unbeatable for small quilts, but I've used the entire queen size batt on a couple of quilts, piecing around the edges where necessary. I usually don't put the borders on a king size quilt until the main area is quilted, and if you don't need the fusible feature in the borders, you can just use strips of 80/20 and pin. I like fusible for everything, though.

I do add a few pins around the edges - I fold the backing fabric to the front and cover the outside half-inch of the top with the backing to protect the edges and keep it from coming apart.

I quilt everything on my domestic sewing machines and I think the stiffness of the fusible helps me move the quilt around. After you wash the quilt, it becomes as soft and drapey as a quilt made with 80/20.

I stock up on it at Connecting Threads when it's on sale for 30% off. It's on sale right now, at $16.09 - plus you get free shipping on orders over $50. :)
thanks so much for your detailed reply! I have just ironed on this stuff to a quilt i'm making my mom for her birthday and I did a search just now to see if i can let it sit overnight before quilting and see alot of people say it is stiff so I was scared and almost ripped the sandwich apart. I'll leave it and quilt it tomorrow now :)