Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody have tips for basting quilts in small spaces? >

Anybody have tips for basting quilts in small spaces?

Anybody have tips for basting quilts in small spaces?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow.. I have such little space and never attempt the large quilts. but do use the quilt safty pins and often reset them as I quilt.

painters tape.. I LOVE that !!

good luck
Old 06-03-2021, 07:18 AM

Default Rug

I took Neese's advice and bought an area rug from Home Depot. I just spread it over my bed and it works great for pin basting. I don't have a lot of room, and also am up there in age. It's hard for me to get down on the floor, so this works great for me. Thanks Neese😀
Old 06-03-2021, 01:28 PM

I use the big tables at our church. (I'm also employed there.) You could contact the church office and ask if they have a meeting room or fellowship hall that you could use for an hour or so during their regular hours.
Speaking as a church secretary - we'd be just fine with that! =)
I've never been comfortable basting on a floor/carpet. I've been using the table at our church even before I worked there. =)

Good Luck!
Donna Mc
Old 06-03-2021, 06:12 PM

I've been usng this technique for a couple years now https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...ature=youtu.be It's easy and works for all size quilts.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:41 PM

Check out this wonderful quilter's video on how she quilts on her boat. She has the first video on Oct. 18, 2020 & the second one on Oct. 21, 2020. (scroll down a bit on the blog). I think she had another one or two but can't find them right now. Some of what she does may help you & if not, it's sure interesting viewing.

http://myquiltodyssey.blogspot.com/s...&max-results=7
Old 06-05-2021, 10:37 AM

In my old home that I have not been gone from for more than 20 years, I use to use my kitchen table. the house was small and I could put a leaf in the table to make it a bit bigger and would pin that way. It was a challenge but I was able to be successful every time. Just a thought.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:45 PM

I use pool noodles from the dollar store to baste mine. You can use pins, glue, spray adhesive, whichever you prefer. I have used this method for quilts as small as a wall hanging, up to a queen size quilt. You just need to adjust the size of your noodles. I connect the noodles with sections of PVC pipe and duct tape to get longer noodles, then just take apart for storage. I generally use a fold up 6 ft table and can work sitting down in my rolling chair.
I also have a wide board on my ironing board and am able to baste throw size quilts on my ironing board.
There is a good bit of info online about this method, just do a search "pool noodle basting".
Here is a video that explains how to do this method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpmWfZdxGSI

Last edited by Murphy224; 06-05-2021 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add another video
Old 06-06-2021, 02:07 AM

I fold out one of those cardboard lined boards that you get from JoAnnes that is used for cutting patterns. I stick pins into the back along the edges to stabilize the backing and then it is really easy to pin a quilt without ruining your table I have basted several queen sized quilts that way. You also don't have to bend over very far or scoot along the floor.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:42 AM

I have a 6 foot "cafeteria" table that I would store in garage until I needed to sandwich a quilt. Use, then fold up the legs and store again. Thankfully, I am currently working on converting the garage into a workroom! Right now it has no A/C, and gets too warm to work for very long here in south Texas.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:23 AM

I like that video about the pool noodles that Murphy posted. I've heard of that method but never taken time to study how it's done. I think I'll try that for my next quilt as I can't get down on the floor anymore for basting my tops. Thanks!!!