Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know how to machine BEAD ???

Blog Entries

Anybody know how to machine BEAD ???

I have signed up several times for a local class and they never seem to get enough people interested in it. Wish I had taken a pic of the Christmas Tree Sampler in the QS. It is just like thread art (just background fabric and thread-no piecing) of a Christmas tree with the beads as the decorations. I am sure I could figure it out but have tooooo many UFO's in the works to take the time.... Thanks in advance!!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    That sounds so interesting. I would have no idea how to machine bead. It sounds hard to me. Tell me how you think you do it. I am interested in it.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Hmm, I'd never heard of such a thing and couldn't fathom how it would be done, so I did a quick google search. It is basically the same thing as cording, only instead of a cord or yarn you are zig zagging over prestrung beads. Here is one youtube video I found with links to more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXsPueNrzA

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link! Very pretty but not what I am thinking. Guess I'll have to WING IT. Thinking that you would need a smaller needle to sew each bead individually and kinda free motion thread art the tree part, then add the little glass beads where you want them. I'll keep you posted if I ever get it figured out or better yet - I get to take the CLASS !! Thanks!

Sounds as though you have the idea. I saw it on Sewing With Nancy, and that is how it was done. FM sewing then adding a bead wher you want it.

We added beads to a nightgown in Pfaff class years ago. Found the instructions - this was for a Pfaff 1473/75 machine so you would have to play.

Straight stitch in center needle position - presser foot removed.
    Feed dogs dropped
    Presser foot in darning position
    Take a few stitches to lock thread

Position the pearl on the needle and lower the needle into fabric to take one stitch.
    Take another stitch right beside the pearl, then a few stitches to tie off threads.

This was based on a project from Sharman Dorsey back around 1992 -4

It was with a pattern. I very much doubt that any of this is around anymore. There are still Pfaff 1400 series but not much written. I kinda miss them - you designed stitched by coordinates called B00 L00

Blog Entries
    I saw and episode of Simply Quilts years ago where a lady machine sewed all sorts of embellishments to her quilt. I think she set up her machine for FMQ ing, held the bead with tweezers, stitched through the hole and then beside it, stitched to where she wanted the next bead and repeated. I don't remember who she was but I think she was a friend of Alex Anderson.
    Mrs B There is nothing that can't be improved with gold glitter

I saw a great demonstration on PBS , it was an episode of Sewing with Nancy.. or maybe Martha's Sewing Room. It was bare needle ( no presser foot) machine beading.. it was facinating and not all that hard to do. Maybe check the web sites for free videos.

The method has you taking a few stitches in place , then lower your needle manually so it just enough to slide the bead under and postion the needle into the bead hole ... lower the needle again) the needle will be partially through the bead hole) so that you can move the fabric but the bead will stay on the needle , take the stitch inserting the needle through the bead hole and through the fabric , when the needle comes to the upper position move the fabric slightly so the needle now clears the bead, and take a few stitches in place to secure. Move the fabric to the next bead location and repeat. The trick is to use the bead positioned on the needle for placement.
    Double check ahead to make sure your needle will fit through the bead hole. You can use a free motion foot or remove the presser foot completely. It is a slow process but is faster than sewing by hand.
    Last edited by Lori S; 06-14-2012 at 05:22 PM.

You probably saw Paula Reid. http://www.battsintheattic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
    I saw and episode of Simply Quilts years ago where a lady machine sewed all sorts of embellishments to her quilt. I think she set up her machine for FMQ ing, held the bead with tweezers, stitched through the hole and then beside it, stitched to where she wanted the next bead and repeated. I don't remember who she was but I think she was a friend of Alex Anderson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast