Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone with arthtitis having trouble? >

Anyone with arthtitis having trouble?

Anyone with arthtitis having trouble?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:24 PM

I get tedonitis in my wrist I find the thing that helps me is my brace and antinflamatories and slo witcing up motions. Also ergonomics make a tremendous difference to pain
Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by PriscillaC View Post
Hi, am wondering how many of you sew with very painful, arthritic wrists. Have been diagnosed with severe osteoarthitis & am not using much meds...but am NOT willing to give up quilting. Recently ordered & am using a Martelli Rotary cutter, which isn't as hard as the Olfa. Hoping I'm not alone!!
I just had to hop in here......I too have this problem.....I find if I try to do it for too long, its worse, so do take breaks...even if you just get up to walk to the bathroom or go get a drink or something.......if I sit there too long, I cant move...........keep a sharp blade in your cutter so you don't have to put much pressure when cutting .. don't try to do very many layers at once when cutting....get a good chair.....and be sure its at the best height for you and your machine...trying to think what else..............
ALSO, I just have been doing something that is really helping me....told to do this by a 93 year old with arthritis and she says its helped her a lot.......... take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar /preferable the unfiltered kind...add a tablespoon of honey.....mix it well, add a couple ice cubes and 8 oz of water.....makes a drink, tart like lemonade, and do this 2 to 3 times per day..............after a few days, you will not have near as much joint pain.....I promise you, it helps........this is a an old remedy from by gone days...after the first 3 weeks, I could not believe the difference.......I now do this twice a day, and I use 2 tablespoons of vinegar and honey each time...I haven't had any of the OTC pain meds in 3 weeks........this is amazing.................I am not practicing medicine here, just passing on advice from a 93 year old and saying that this has really helped me........
Old 09-06-2015, 08:29 PM

I have trouble with my wrists and thumb - not diagnosed by a dr. but I am assuming it is arthritis. Rotary cutting and repetitive stuff makes it worse. I have used a Martelli rotary cutter for a long time and love it. It is definitely easier on my wrist. I have been working out some with light weight weights and am surprised at how much it has helped my wrist.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:28 AM

Have you tried the Fiskars ruler with the rotary cutter attached you use the ball of your hand to push the cutter. I find it needs a lot less pressure than the hand held rotary cutter.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:30 AM

I have very bad arthritis. My doctor ordered me a splint to help with the pain in my thumb area. The splint was covered by insurance but if it isn't it costs $90. Here is the link:
http://www.vivomed.com/en/Push-Brace...n=UnitedStates
Old 09-07-2015, 04:34 AM

I have it in my spine and I have to pace myself when using the rotary cutter. I sew everything I can by can because I can sit and relax in my big chair when sewing. When I sew the binding on the with the machine I usually have to take a pain pill and lie down. I have some in my right hand but so far I can still hand sew. I started quilting because I had to find something I could do that didn't require me to stand or walk. I use to walk outside for exercise but not any more. If I hand't developed arthritis in my spine I am not sure I would have found this wonderful hobby quilting.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

The list for me would also be shorter. My hands and my spine appears to be the most affected by that evil arthritis, however I have recently lost 47 lbs since February and that has helped my knees and my spine. I do work full time as a cashier at Walmart so it keeps my hands flexible. Quilting has not been as vigorous as it used to be and it seems to take me longer to make one but I intend to keep on keeping on as long as I am able. My stomach lining is weak so I am not able to take any anti inflamatory medicine but heat packs help my spine. We can only do what we can do and be thankful that we can do it. GOD Bless

mike'sgirl;7309202]I have it in my back , hips , knees , hands, neck. I could make a smaller list if I limited it to the areas where I don't have it lol! I take my time and don't do marathon quilting stints anymore. I'm going to pick up a Martelli cutter. I love their blades anyway.
I've also heard good things about curcumin, hope I spelled that right. It's supposed to really help the inflammation.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 AM

I've had surgery on both thumbs at the base--and also one carpal tunnel procedure. I've been sewing and typing my whole life and have worn out my hands. I am limited in the quilting I can do but with all my experience I can usually come up with easy procedures that at least keep me making charity quilts. Easy, no pressure projects. And I get a quilting "fix" right here on QB enjoying all the pictures and posts.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:48 AM

oI have rheumatoid arthritis and have to take Humira.....I do get severe pain in my hands if I overdo....I did buy an Accuquilt electric for that reason, but haven't started using it yet...It's still in the box and stares at me....I feel so guilty since I spend so much for it....It's learning something new that is my problem I guess.....There are many good creams for hands such as Voltaren but it's only by prescription...
Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 AM

I purchased some gloves made by Tommie Copper and they have really helped my hands. The pain and swelling are much much less. I got the ones with the finger tips open.