Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines >

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by patchpoket
it seams we are all in agrement. I only get one magazine and that is because it comes with the subscription to QCA
Another problem is sitting at the computer for hours. I love what it gives me but my eyes glaze over.

patchpoket
Yep!, it's a tough balance between the computer & the sewing machine. One gives me ideas & conversation,the other I get things done!!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by montanablu
Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
As I said earlier in this interresting thread, I've let all my subscriptions lapse. Have been revisiting my stash of 20years worth of mags, due to the hot weather and realised, that A I really don't need anymore and B I found so many patterns I wasn't interrested in, but my taste seems to have changed and I do like a lot of them now. At least 10 years worth of patterns to choose from. If not more. started 2 today
So true! Whenever I need inspiration - or a jump start to get busy (!) I browse the old mags, or the patterns I've cut out & stored in binders. Seeing all the patterns gets me going again. And you're also right about tastes changing. Many patterns I did not like at the time, I do now. Guess there's always hope for growth & stretching one's interests. :thumbup:
When I look at the "new" patterns real close,I notice that they are the old patterns with 1 or 2 variations. That's one of the reasons I don't buy quilt magazines other than the price.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM

I tore up two renewal notices today - Quilters Newsletter and Quilter mags. It's not that they are bad it's just that there is so much redundency and nothing much inspiring anymore in them. I've saved the patterns that appealed to me and put them in a binder for years. I won't live long enought to do them all or finish the kits I have on hand or use up all the fabric. I've got to stop looking and start doing. I have so many UFO it's just terrible. I made a 2011 pledge to finish each one - one at a time. Previously I would work a little here and a little there and never get anything done. Not now. It's a new year. (wooooo - pumped myself up - think I will take a little nap).
Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 AM

I've let my subscriptions go dead too. The only one I still get is Quiltmaker. Not excited about that lately. My new precious husband got me two subscriptions for Christmas, wish he had asked me first.....not interested in either one.....wanted Quilting Arts, think that is the name, it is loaded with new techniques. Am leaning toward the more arty pieces and trying to think outside the box so to speak.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 AM

I looked at the covers of two mag yesterday (to put away) and one is a variation on sq/in/sq and flying geese and the other is a variation of 9patch on point with strips between. It seems like same-o-same-0...
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 PM

I'm hoping publishers are reading this thread, at least they should, they're losing alot of sales. In the meantime we've made it to 20 pages of comments, is this a record?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:14 PM

I'm hoping publishers are reading this thread, at least they should, they're losing alot of sales. In the meantime we've made it to 20 pages of comments, is this a record?
That's what I'm hoping!! With hard copy mags & books having a hard time keeping up w/internet, Kindle, etc they need to DO something to keep their subscribers happy. They need to jazz things up a bit (a lot?) or they will find themselves amongst the dinosaurs.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM

That's what I'm hoping!! With hard copy mags & books having a hard time keeping up w/internet, Kindle, etc they need to DO something to keep their subscribers happy. They need to jazz things up a bit (a lot?) or they will find themselves amongst the dinosaurs.
Perhaps we should write to them and explain why we haven't renewed our subscriptions? Actually, that's what I am going to do, can't wait for the replies, if any.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM

My guess is that you will get a -

'thank you for taking the time to write. We appreciate hearing from our readers. We are pleased to inform you that our team is in the process of making some major changes in our magazine. We are very excited about the new look and helpful information coming your way. We hope that you will stay with us and enjoy these new changes. Sincerely,...'

Think??
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM

My guess is that you will get a -

'thank you for taking the time to write. We appreciate hearing from our readers. We are pleased to inform you that our team is in the process of making some major changes in our magazine. We are very excited about the new look and helpful information coming your way. We hope that you will stay with us and enjoy these new changes. Sincerely,...'

Think??
Yep, standard reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!