Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days? >

Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days?

Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I stopped reading Quilter's Newsletter several years ago. It's not the same as it use to be. It's printed on shoddy paper, the quilts are boring, the articles are not interesting, and too many art quilts and art quilters. I like Quilt magazine and Fons and Porter. Quilter's Home is good for fun reading but very few quilt patterns.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:24 AM

Since you asked, yes.

I'm new to quilting but have long been interested in it. About 10 years ago I was living in a tiny town whose library happened to have a great collection of back issues of Quilter's newsletter (from the late 1990s). I was awed, amazed, dazzled by what I saw in those issues.

When I decided this spring to finally get into quilting myself, I checked out an issue ... and decided to wait for the next one. Wasn't impressed. Finally bought one in July on sale at JoAnn's, and reading it, again wasn't impressed.

Loved the cover of the current issue, but wasn't happy with the contents inside, so I didn't buy that one, either.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:38 AM
CRH

After many years, I too have stopped my subscription to Q Newsletter. It used to have many lessons on techniques and math solutions, and the inside "news" was interesting, but these days it seems to have little of interest.

I still like McCall's, and Fons and Porter, and a couple of others. Am even getting tired of Mark Lipinski's 'cutesy' comments (but like some of his fabrics).

(Really, I have enough magazines, books, and web ideas to last 100 lifetimes!!) But you never know, the NEXT pattern might be THE ONE!!!??? :lol: :lol:
Old 08-02-2009, 08:01 AM

So, if we are all getting disillusioned with the current mags, what would we want from an ideal quilt magazine? I would say fewer patterns, more articles on quilt history and on current quilters (art or otherwise) and their work. Perhaps some technique lessons, and more reader content, with photos and stories about quilts we, the readers make. What else?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 AM

i get almost all the quilting mags because my kiddies get them for me when they can't think of anything else for a mom that has everything she wants. which is kiddies. and of course, dh.

but i have told them NO MORE QUILTER' NEWSLETTER. i think they have too many quilt show and quilt guild pictures and they squish them up small so they can get more in. they show great quilts, but give no clue as to the techniques used, to you can't even try the technique.

and they don't offer enough instruction. i agree with the others about going online. i can get more tutorials and quilt shows up-close and personal.

as to the other mags, i like getting them each month, because i can carry them around and get ideas from them without sitting at this computer, and spreading my a** to the width of the armchair. instead i can sit in a leetle teeeny weeny chair and mold myself to that size. :lol: :lol:
Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
instead i can sit in a leetle teeeny weeny chair and mold myself to that size. :lol: :lol:
You can do that?? How about making a video tutorial, uploading it to YouTube and posting a link here. :wink:
Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat
Has anyone read Quilters Home with Mark Lipinski? I love it
I also subscribe to Fons and Porter.I get Quilters Newlwtter too,and I am not that thrilled with it,for all the reasons mentioned above.
I just got something in the mail to try it out for a free issue. I just ordered it, we will see.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:45 AM

[/quote] i can carry them around and get ideas from them without sitting at this computer, and spreading my a** to the width of the armchair. instead i can sit in a leetle teeeny weeny chair and mold myself to that size. [/quote]

Butterflywing, I should never have read this with a mouth full of soda! I almost burst it was so funny! :lol: :lol:

I recently let my subscription to Quilter's Newsletter lapse as well. I used to look forward to each issue (and bought up years of back issues at Guild) but find little of interest in the new issues. I like looking at a few art quilts, but they seem to dominate lately. I also like more "how to" info and it's lacking that. There seems to be way more ads and less content, and less articles of interest overall. Each issues seems just like the last with a new date on it. :cry:
Old 08-02-2009, 11:11 AM

I stopped subscribing to Quilter's Newsletter a number of years ago because it had so many art type quilts and articles. I like how-to articles and patterns for the common quilter. My favorite magazine was Australian Patchwork & Quilting but it became too expensive to subscribe. I do pick up one every now and then on E-Bay for a reasonable price. I still have many of the back issues which I go to frequently for a tip or technique. They have the most clear and concise instructions I have seen in a quilt magazine.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

I used to get the QUilter's Newsletter until they changed their format. It seems so choppy now - too many guest editorials, and boy do those guests pontificate about whatever the topic. The columnists used to interject humor into the articles - now it's mostly a lecture (and I mean LECTURE with a wagging index finger.) DH accidentally renewed my subscription - the sweetheart meant well. I told him that I do not like that magazine any longer.