Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ever do this? >

Anyone else ever do this?

Anyone else ever do this?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Default Anyone else ever do this?

This afternoon I had just finished sandwiching a table runner together. The backing length needed to be cut off a little. Went over to my cutting table to make a quick swipe.........Didn't realize the sewing machine cord was under another fabric. I took my rotary cutter and ruler and went zip.....sparks flew, big poof and then smoke. Melted a section of the cutting mat and a little piece of batting. You should see the chunk melted out of the cutting blade. A couple of black spots in the cotton. I didn't receive a shock but am quite surprized it didn't trip a circuit breaker. Just nicked the machine cord. I can get my husband to replace the cord but you can be certain I'm gonna get a lecture. Yikes! I feel l stupid but very lucky.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Yikes! That's a new one. I'm glad you are okay.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Oh man! My hand was over my mouth as I read this! I am so glad that there was no more damage than that. I have never zapped a cord, but when you mentioned the circuit breakers, it made me think. This is a very old house, and I have to turn off the air conditioner when I want to turn on the iron or it WILL trip the CB's. (It's like Green Acres here.)

Hope the lecture is not too severe. (remind him who does the cooking.)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Scary!!!! Glad you're safe!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Scary! I'm so glad that you're safe.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Oh My! Lesson learned and happy you are safe. Cutters and mats can be replaced~
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

I wish I could say that you are the only one but I nicked the cord to my foot pedal with my rotary cutter. Luckily it just sliced the coating a little and I could wrap a piece of electrical tape over the spot. I still cringe just thinking about it because replacing a cord to my foot pedal on my Bernina would not be cheap.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Oh man! My hand was over my mouth as I read this! I am so glad that there was no more damage than that. I have never zapped a cord, but when you mentioned the circuit breakers, it made me think. This is a very old house, and I have to turn off the air conditioner when I want to turn on the iron or it WILL trip the CB's. (It's like Green Acres here.)

Hope the lecture is not too severe. (remind him who does the cooking.)
I haven't heard of that one either. I would be more upset with myself and I know DH wouldn't give me a lecture. He would just tell me call my son (his son too I might add) and have the cord replaced. Because he knows it would be bad enough for me that I have to go without the machine until it is fixed.
I am reminded of a couple years back before we replaced the siding on our house. Always heard noises in the wall on once side of the house, and our Christmas lights were always plugged into that outside outlet on same wall. Shorted out every year. When I turned my iron on that was plugged into the socket on the same wall inside, I would constantly trip the breakers. Thought it was the iron. It was old so we threw it away. The guys take the old siding off, and they find mice trails all throughout the insulation panels. Looked like an ant farm behind glass. They took off the wood and found wires chewed up everywhere. Amazing the house didn't burn down.
Wonder if zapping the cord has any other effect on the machine?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If you have a computerized machine, I would have it checked out. You may have done more than nick the cord. Mbut glad you are OK?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Wow that was a very close call. So glad you did not have much more serious consequenses.