Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever Use Flannel for borders/backing?

I have used flannel several times and have always been pleased. I agree that it seems to be a warmer, cuddlier (is that a real word?), quilt to snuggle with. Especially for a baby quilt

i mix textiles all the time in quilts- flannels and flat cottons work great together-
    the only things to keep in mind is- flannels tend to fray more (they are a looser weave)- starching makes cutting easier and more precise-if you are using clothing- all the pre-shinking has been done- so i wouldn't worry about that-
    if the flannels are thin you can use a stablizer
    cottons- and flannels get softer, cozier with time/use/and washing/drying...make FABULOUS quilts
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree with the others; flannel is great but should be washed and dryed first.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    I've used flannel in baby quilts as batting. It makes the quilt lighter in weight. I love flannel in quilts as piecing, boarders or backing.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

It's also great to have a few flannel squares or blocks on the same side of the cotton. Mix 'em right in and it will be a nice manly quilt with different textures.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Before I wash the flannel, I sew up the raw ends. Even though I wash it on delicate flannel will ravel bad! I use a zigzag stitch around the fabric square.

Flannel makes a cozy backing.

I have seen flannel used for borders, came out very nice. I use flannel often for backings and always pre-wash. Alot of my customer use flannel for backs all the time.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

I have not had problems with too much unraveling, but I have only used flannel a few times with baby quilts. It is a little fuzzy and a good bobbin cleaning is needed after, but I love it and it gives the quilts such a snuggly feel. I do think flannel requires really good basting, but then again, what project doesn't? I say go for it and let us see a picture of the result!

PS I prewash my flannel too, but did not prewash the top fabrics on my last baby quilt, which I am working on now. We will see if that proves to be a problem!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

I used a flannel backing for a lap quilt and it worked out really well. It is also so soft.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast