Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have any southern hemisphere Xmas patterns? >

Anyone have any southern hemisphere Xmas patterns?

Anyone have any southern hemisphere Xmas patterns?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 PM

Had thoughts of doing some Xmas quilts for the southern hemisphere? I know I am toying around with some ideas. Snow, sleds, etc are so inappropriate for that time of year in SA,Australia, NZ, S Africa, etc.

Santa on a surfboard and the other types of Xmas cards I saw in Hawaii are more the idea I think.

We don't do so much decorating as the kids are grown up. But I want to do a wall hanging at least I think. Kids usually want to come here for holidays-it's warmer, more relaxed and there is great food and outdoor concerts to attend to...:) But old traditions die hard even if the need a different slant so some tokens of the season seem in order.

Ideas ladies and gents?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM

Santa's wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt and his "sleigh" is a boat pulled by dolphins wearing fake antlers? :P Kidding. (Sort of.)

What about palm trees decorated with lights and ornaments? Or instead of a holly/evergreen wreath, some other type of warm-season greenery, like olive branches or something.

I've never been south of the Yucatan so I realize these may be terrible assumptions I'm making about what's "seasonal" for the Southern hemisphere. ;)
Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Hi, a lass did Santa wearing Board shorts, sack of presents over his shoulder and riding a surf board. The other designs were Santa having his sleigh pulled by kangaroos....A gum tree decorated with lights...had the Sydney Harbour Bridge with the Christmas banner...I cannot remember what the other designs were but it was a great Aussie quilt.
Cheerio from an Aussie
Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 PM

I think those are both winners of ideas actually. Just quirky enough to get the idea across and a bit of irony, May take that good old Aussie idea one step further and do blocks from Oz, Mexico, US, Chile, England are all places we have lived. Machine Applique Thematics with the oddities of the varioius locations. So far I love these ideas..thanks Keep them coming!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:16 PM

I saw a pattern Spring into Christmas by Happy Stash Quilts would be a nice pattern to give a Christmas-y feel without being about snow etc. I like that the sample is made in non-traditional colors with a Christmas theme. Here is a link to the designer's site.

http://www.happystashquilts.com/prod...tal-snowflakes
Old 07-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Just went there and that is a very usable idea and I think the several different shapes of tree is a really nice touch. And of course you are right, the colors are refreshing. Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 02:42 PM

Sounds like a potential business for you!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:54 PM

LOL--very true! I will add it to the list of things I MUST do and have ready for sale on my website next year. Wonder if it will be off putting to the people who go to my website looking to buy a book about changing thier lives by moving overseas?
Old 07-30-2011, 02:57 PM

Do they make wreaths in Chile?
If so there's a very nice wreath quilt made with the twister tool and directions are on here.
Picture of the wreath on pg 6
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57130-1.htm
Old 07-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Yes, they do wreaths in Chile. They have all of last year's surplus merchandise arrive here and it is all strictly northern Xmas themed.

That pinwheel pattern is good for such a variety of things, depending on your color choices and the holiday you want to cover. Thanks