Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have a Bernette 200?  Do you like it? >

Anyone have a Bernette 200? Do you like it?

Anyone have a Bernette 200? Do you like it?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:00 AM

I bought a Bernette 200 at a thrift store yesterday - it does have the Bernina name on it so how can I go wrong? - but I can't find ANY information about it. It sews well and all the stitches seem to work. It is lighter than my other Berninas, so I plan to carry it to classes, etc.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 AM

Boy i wish i could remember.There was a internet sight you could find parts, instruction manuels for machines.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 AM

i bought a bernett lastyear and hated it, hated it so much i gave it away! so I wish you luck, and bernette is made for bernina, if i remember right its not really a bernina.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 AM

the only thing that I've heard is that even though Bernia makes them thier customer service wasn't given what they needed to know to help users with problems and there were alot of problems.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Bernette is made in Korea if memory serves me correctly. Sews well BUT does not hold up. One for DIL lasted , less than a year. Not worth repai ring--was told my shop that it has two belts in it and is known to wear.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the responses. Maybe this one is older, it says it was made in Germany for Bernina. It does have two belts, but they both look good. Guess I'll just have to sew on it and take it at face value. If it works good, it's good. It it doesn't, I'll be sad.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:13 PM

I have a Bernette 715and I hate it. It got bobbin jams constantly and now the bobbin won't even go in properly so it won't make a stitch and they weren't impressive when it did. Also switching from zig zag to straight stitch always caused it to act up. It wouldn't feed the fabric smoothly either so 1/4" seams were difficult. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 AM

I also bought a Bernette 200 a few months ago (online), and I'm very pleased with it. It sews like a charm and very smoothly. Also made in Germany. I was able to get a walking and a darning foot for it--it didn't come with many accessories--and they fit correctly. The only problem I'm having is finding bobbins for it. All the ones I've tried are either too thick, too wide, or not flat enough. I currently have only 2, one for light and one for dark threads, but that's not nearly enough, particularly when working on a large quilt. I keep looking tho. Good luck!