Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have the Brother 1500 on a frame? >

Anyone have the Brother 1500 on a frame?

Anyone have the Brother 1500 on a frame?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Default Anyone have the Brother 1500 on a frame?

If you do what frame do you have? I now have a sit down set up using the Brother 1500 but now think I'll try it on a frame before investing in a LA.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 AM

brother just came out with a frame ...........the dream fabric frame http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin.../#.VfBVi1uFOM8 scroll all the way down.......... hope this helps I am going to my dealer this weekend to check it out
Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I think the throat space is less than 9" on that one. You are going to loose 2-3" when you load the quilt to allow for the take up roller, then as you roll the quilt you will have less and less space to work with. Having said this, there are lots of folks who do wonderful work with a domestic machine on a frame. If you tend to do smaller projects, or are willing to QAYG in sections, then this may be a good option. Personally, I would check around and see if you can rent time on a long arm to see if you like it and save the money you would have spent on a frame for the down payment!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

That is a new set up. It looks like you have to layer the quilt before putting on the frame and then re position the whole quilt when you need to advance? Much like a Q Snap Frame?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I have the machine so thought I'd put it on a frame to use until I decide on what I really want. I do QAYG a lot on my sit down set up. I'm really good using the John Flynn Frame for edge to edge but I want to move the machine not the quilt for awhile.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:22 AM

Hi Onebyone.....I have the Brother 1500 and purchased it with the Grace quilting frame. I quilted with this set-up for about 9-10 years. I had also purchased the additional "boards" that you put on the frame that enable designs like zig-zag, half circles, etc. The set-up worked very well for me and I especially liked that I could keep the frame a "smaller size" when I was doing mainly crib-size or lap quilts. Then, when I needed to do a larger quilt, I just put on the extra pieces. I am still using my Brother 1500, but am interested in selling the quilt frame along with the "boards". If you are interested at all, please PM me. I can try to locate additional information and send it to you. I'm located in Albuquerque, NM. Thanks.

The only thing that took a little while to "perfect" was the sewing speed.....it takes a bit of practice to move the carriage the machine sets on with the speed of the stitching.

But, I used it for many years and produced many quilts! Thanks! Nora
Old 09-09-2015, 09:22 AM

I was going to set up my Brother 1500s on a Hinterberg stretch frame. That frame uses 1-1/4" metal conduit for the rollers, so figured I'd have about 5-1/2" of quilting space once the quilt was rolled. Very doable. I ended up buying a Bailey 15" home quilter and glad I did.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-10-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: pm
Old 09-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Nora I sent you a pm.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-10-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: to match the edit above
Old 09-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

i didn't have the brother, but had the Juki... i had it on a hinterberg stretch frame. i was very satisfied with it. but if you do a large quilt, and want to repeat the same pattern throughout, you are really limited to about 4" tall. i did a king quilt with it and just divided my design into three parts and used lots of rolling.