Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have this problem?????

Ruth,

I purchased it at JoAnn's and it isn't the best fabric, but it said 100% cotton....now the design appears to be something else, it is almost like a plastic texture....I'm wondering if that is what caused the trouble.

Tlrnhi

Thanks! I was very pleased with how it turned out. I think I'm going to keep it and see what I can do with it after I get their new present finished.

Thanks!

hugs

I have never heard of such a thing...
    What happened exactly...
    Oh my and thanks for the heads up
    K

bj
    That block is awesome. I'd be a little crazy if I were you right now. I wonder if the fabric had some poly in it? You might could try using a dry sponge with the scouring side and see if it would brush off. It's such a shame when something like that happens.

Does the medium blue fabric have little silver flecks painted on the surface? I've gotten fabric from JoAnn's before that had silver designs on the top, and it looked like they were painted on. If that is the case, maybe they melted as you ironed. :?:

Banned
    I'd at least take the block to JoAnn's and show them what happened when you ironed it...and ask for either your money back or replacement fabric. They should do something to make that up to you. The block is beautiful and no small amout of work I imagine!

Do you have a picture of after?

Banned
    sorry it happened, but it sure is pretty, don't let it get ya down..

How awful! Especially when you are in a hurry. Thank you for the heads up. I will certainly be more careful now. Sorry I had to learn from your trial! Hope you get the gift done in time!

Susan

Was the fabric 100% cotton?
    Did it have a "painted on" print design?
    Did anything on the yellow fabric smear or melt when you put the iron on it?

Try a scrap and hit it with the iron...does it do the same thing?

Use this scrap after you get "silver" on it to work on different techniques to get it out. Do not use your project.

Try placing a 100% dish towel over the yellow scrap, no steam to see id the silver will left off onto the dish towel.

Then try washing the scrap to see id the residue will come out.

Take the project ans scrap to your local dry cleaner. They may have an answer since they deal with all types of fabric.

Thanks ladies for all the help and suggestions! I probably did what most of you would consider "the unthinkable".....I used a stain stick and put it in the wash! I figure I'm making a new one anyway, I might as well learn now what works and what doesn't work. There are no sparkles on the purple material, but there are some on the butterfly material, maybe that is what happened. I tried ironing a scrap of the yellow and I didn't have any problems. I guess the yellow just shows the damage and the other colors don't. I tried ironing the piece with another piece of fabric over top and on a lower temp, but it still damaged the yellow in the finished square. So we will see what happens in the wash!

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!!!!!

I will let you know what happens!
    hugs!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast