Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone know of a "Graceland" quilt block? >

Anyone know of a "Graceland" quilt block?

Anyone know of a "Graceland" quilt block?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 AM

Default Anyone know of a "Graceland" quilt block?

I am making an Elvis quilt for my husband. I am looking for a quilt block pattern that would look like Graceland. Has anyone seen one or know where I can get one? It is a pretty "square" brick building with shutters and columns.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 AM

I googled Graceland Images and saw several great pics of the front of the house. You can make this pattern up yourself. Save one of the images you like to a flash drive. Take it to a Staples or Office Depot and tell them what size you want to print it out as. Then draw it out on drafting paper. Most of it could be pieced. The small areas over the windows would need to be appliqued. The columns can be made by using white and a gray for the shadows. You might be surprised at your talent. If all else fails, use the copy you have and start stitching the fabric to the paper, similar to paper piecing to make the look you want I would view some Youtube videos on PP and then just get at it. It will be fun to see your results.

Edited to add. You could also, buy some of the fabric that you print pics on. Most big stores that have fabric have the printable fabric. ie Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics, I think WalMart. Read the directions carefully and make sure you have the proper printer type for the job and follow those directions exactly. Print one or more of the pics and place them in your quilt where you want them. The fabric pieces come in standard paper sizes (8.5 inches by 11 inches), so sprinkling them among your quilt may make more sense. T Shirt places will sometimes print the images on your fabric if you ask them to. You could use 1 big pic and several small pics. So many ways to go.

I did Google Plantation House quilt pattern and didn't find any patterns.

I, also, searched EQ & Blockbase for house patterns and didn't find any that I thought could be altered to look like a Southern Plantation Manor.

Good luck. Please show us your quilt when your done.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 09-02-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 AM

Barb- I think you are right, AND sounds like a challenge. It might end up looking like a rubix cube, BUT I could always try until I get it right. Thanks for the inspiration and idea!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I am not good with houses so I would probably do the front gates instead. The images could be done in appliqué and hand embroidery. If you have brick fabric, that could do for the brick walls on either side of the gate.