Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone made a purple quilt? >

Anyone made a purple quilt?

Anyone made a purple quilt?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:46 PM

I want to make a purple quilt. I have a great deal of trouble visualizing what a quilt might end up looking like. I am a beginning quilter, but I have already got lots of purple in my stash, and my next quilt will be shades of purple, one way or another.

Has anyone made a Yellow Brick Road in different shades of purple? Does anyone has a pattern they used and liked in purple? I am all ears.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:55 PM

I've made three scrappy purple quilts... or was it four??? anyway, I LOVE them. I made an appliqued winding way throw size, one bear paw, and one made with big and small 9-patches. here's the link to my picture
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-40371-1.htm
Old 04-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Well, I really don't like purple, but I did make this one for my neice who does.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5238.jpe  
Old 04-25-2010, 06:01 PM

I made a purple Irish chain. There was a small amount of pink and lots of cream. Sorry, don't have a pic.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM

Oh, these two are beautiful! This just confirms that I want to make one in purple. I am not sure Thank you! Now I am off to research what an Irish chain looks like. I had not thought of cream with purple, but that sounds good too.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:10 PM

Okay, that will teach me to proofread. The sentence I started and them didn't finish was "I am not sure I am good enough for either of these complex patterns." Then I decided it made me sound dumb and delete part of it, but not all of it. So I didn't sound dumb....just sort of looked dumb. :)
Old 04-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Pam

we All live with editing. LOL
Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I think the key is to use contrasting purples...from very pale, mediums and darks. Or like was suggested, using a cream for your lights. Or toss in a pink, or other color for interest.
My DD wanted one that was all darks, and I wasn't very fond of it, it looked very dreary to me...
If you google "purple quilt images"...you will get hundreds to look at LOL
Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 PM

I think nearly any pattern can be assembled with a monochromatic theme. A couple of other threads active right now are talking about Yellow Brick Road quilts. It's a great beginner quilt and I've seen pics of YBR quilts in single colors that look great.

There is a quilt called Indigo something, maybe Indigo Hopscotch, that is beautiful done in all blues. She said it wasn't terribly complicated to make. Do a search and see what you think of it.

I always recommend Rail Fence for beginners, and it would also make a nice single-color quilt. Look at some of your favorite patterns. You can draw them out on graph paper and color them in with different shades of purple, or just fold and arrange some of your stash to imitate the block. Be sure to post pics of your finished quilt(s).

Darren
Old 04-25-2010, 06:53 PM

I have made trip around the world with purple...light to dark. I have also made a bargello with purple light to dark and tans. the tans had purple flowers.