Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Remember Snippets?

Anyone else remember doing Snippets from about a decade ago(or more - time flies, you know)anyway I made a couple, even got my classes involved and wondered it its still around :?:

My sister still does them quite a bit.

whats a snippet?

Blog Entries
    I have bags of snippets waiting for the right idea to come along. This will be my first attempt, and I can't wait until I have enough of them to get started :D:D:D

How to Make Snippet Quilts
    Snippet quilts are decorative fabric pictures. They are usually made as small hanging quilts that are displayed as mosaic-type pictures. A photo, painting or any picture can be used to pattern your snippet quilt after. However, there are also free-form snippet quilts made in abstract designs. It's the perfect project for the person who loves detail work and has saved all their bits and pieces of fabric scraps.

Difficulty:Moderate
    Things you'll need:
    Fabric
    Fabric bits and pieces
    Fusible webbing
    Craft paper
    Scissors
    Iron

Choose a picture to use as a reference for your snippet quilt. Gather snippets of fabric that are the right colors and patterns for your project. Purchase a yard of fusible webbing. This product allows you to iron it onto the back of fabric. When the top layer is pulled off, it leaves a residue that allows the piece to be ironed onto another piece of fabric and stick.

Cut a piece of muslin, or other plain, colored cotton, the size of your quilt. This will be your backdrop for your picture.

Draw out your design on a piece of paper. Using craft paper or butcher paper will allow you to cut a piece the size of your quilt.

Iron fusible webbing onto the backs of your fabrics. Cut your largest shapes. Pull the layer of paper from the fabrics. Place the fabric shapes onto the sheet of muslin and iron.

Repeat the process in Step 4 with your smaller pieces or more detailed pieces of fabric.

Sandwich your layers together: quilt backing, batting and quilt top). Using large safety pins, pin the three layers together. Hand quilt as desired. Finish edges as desired. Remove the safety pins.

There are many sites with info and photos online.

Read more: How to Make Snippet Quilts | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4963378_make...#ixzz1HwoInklB

I've never seen Snippets before ... looks like fun! Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I save all of my fusible applique scraps to do this. It is a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Boopers
    I save all of my fusible applique scraps to do this. It is a lot of fun.
    Now that's a good idea!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Didn't someone just post a snippet chicken in the last month or so? It was pretty amazing.

I saw the chicken when I did a search. How would that hold up after washing? Wouldn't it ravel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast