Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone sew with vintage fabrics? >

Anyone sew with vintage fabrics?

Anyone sew with vintage fabrics?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
I find this to be an interesting topic. Namely because I have a great DIL who love Raggety Ann and Andy. So for a surprise quilt I had planned on making her a quilt within these fabrics. BUT... I found a website that is strictly for anything vintage for ann and andy. And they several pieces of fabrics from the origingal period of time. I did order several pieces and also ordered a double panel that could be made into pillow cases. EXCEPT...this fabric is so old and so stiff that I am afriad to wash it for fear that I will actually lose it. And it's not doing me any good just sitting there as a home decoration. Not exactly something you can just throw over the back of your chair. This fabric is extremely old and if anyone has any suggestions pertaining to using it, I would deeply appreciate it. I have accumulated some very nice ann and andy fabric that will be enough to make a quilt as a gift, but I really wanted to find a way to incorportate this antique fabric into the gift.

Thanks much, Blue

Okay, Blue- this is my deal with very old cotton. It seems to depend how it has been stored. Some of it, when it seems to just crumble when you touch it, I would not put in a quilt- it will just make the entire quilt less sturdy, as it's going to fall apart the fastest.

What you might do is hand wash it, carefully, and back it with a stabilizer and then make a throw pillow with it- something usable, but perhaps without so much stress as a quilt? Make sure you stabilize it first- I think that might help it last a bit longer.

Good luck-

Maggie
Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 AM

thank you... I think I will do that this afternoon.. with the hand washing and rinsing. But with no twisting. I think I remember someone telling me if it's difficult to wash and rinse, lay it in a towel and then slowly roll the towel so get as much water out of as possible. Thinking of placing it in a nylon bag and letting it air dry in the dryer to eliminate winkles. I would really hate to hit it with an iron for a longer time then necessary.

So here geos,
Thanks, Blue