Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone use a serger for making quilts?

Working on my sewing room, I pulled out my 10-year-old serger that I had used a lot for sewing projects in the past. It needed a good cleaning and rethreading and I wondered if I could use it for sewing pieces of material together. I have been avidly reading this forum and learning more and more about quilting and applying in to my own work, but have not heard anyone talk about sergers at all. I have a vintage Viking that I love and a backup basic Janome that both work well. Anyone have any comments about the many-threaded serger machine?

Blog Entries
    I will follow this thread as I also have a serger

I just surfed and found this link for you

http://www.ehow.com/how_4929062_make...ng-serger.html

Blog Entries
    I just watched a show today where the whole quilt was put together with a serger, except for the binding.

It was Fons and Porter :wink:
    Nancy Zieman (Sewing With Nancy) has atleast one book out using the serger for constructing quilts too :D:D:D

I pondered this recently...... will also follow this thread.....

I will also follow this thread

Blog Entries
    I know there is a book out about quilting with a serger, but I don't have it.

A dear cousin of mine sent of a box of Hawaian silk squares.
    Since silk is so hard to work with, I used my serger to sew all the blocks together. After the top was assembled, I did the rest with my regular machine. It certainly made the task much easier. The quilt turned out great and has held up superbly. My mom loves it.

I've done this before, and it does add bulk to the seams. Helps if you use a higher loft batting. Also it can get out of square if you let it trim too close. worked fine for 8 " squares as long as I didn't use sashing. Takes lots of thread this way.

A friend of mine made a log cabin quilt using her serger. It looked great front and back. I've never used mine to quilt, too afraid of cutting off needed fabric if I have to rip.

I've done 2 quilts on my serger. I purchased a pattern call "Scrappy Serger Quilt". There are other patterns available. Basically you cut strips from several different colors, serge them to make rows, from the rows you cut blocks, lay your blocks out in a pattern, then serge them into rows. Then you join a row, batting, backing. After you have 2 rows joined you can quilt it as you go, then join the 3rd row, quilt, join 4th, etc. I used polyester batting & didn't notice any problem with seams. I did find it easier to pin & serge a short distance, remove pin, serge. Just be careful not to sew over a pin with your serger, as you can damage the knife.