Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone using a Sew Slip? >

Anyone using a Sew Slip?

Anyone using a Sew Slip?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:31 PM

Thanks for giving Suzanne, and the rest of us, your hands on experience. Suzanne stated her machine is sitting down inside her cabinet. That combined with your experience of it being helpful on a placemat size area leads me to believe this is probably a good purchase for her, unless she wants or needs to spring for a new finish on her cabinet, because on a home machine, no matter your set up or quilt size, this is about all of the area you will be able to quilt at one time anyway. You are always limited by the throat space on your machine, so if, as you said, this does help an area of that size, it will be the perfect item to eliminate any drag on the bed area of the machine.

Now, if she or anyone else is looking to refinish their wooden cabinet top, it sounds like you have found the right combo for a slippery surface. :D
Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 AM

well my hubby built my table (48x48) so that my machine sets down in it. it has a formica top and and sides which slicks up real good with pledge but the 90 degree edge is so sharp it causes a lot of problems, i'm trying to figure out what i may be able to put over it to make it more rounded. I'm going to Lowe's today to look around. other than that it's perfect.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:51 AM

Could he round off the corner for you? (Then you'd only need to replace the formica strip.)

Mine is made from a heavy desk (like the teachers used to use) with a formica top as well. It is quite slick, but I use the quilt glide... I never even thought about pledge. You don't worry about what that might do to your quilt? It is a good idea, & cheaper too! (more money for fabric!! :D ) I like the weight of the desk because it never vibrates the slightest bit. I placed a table legnth wise along the left side that has rounded corners; that gave me extra work area, and eliminated the corner problems.

Good luck in your quest :D
Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Suz

Hi Ladies and Tim,

I ordered Supreme Glider from Jukebox before I went away for a few days. As I recall it was $7.95 for the item. Today they called me saying that because it was in an aerosole can it had to have special shipping and would be over $9 and was I willing to pay the extra as originally the shipping was $5. Also, there were extra UPS charges because we live in a remote area ???. I told her the UPS had made a delivery at our residence today and I see the truck everyday. Needless to say, I cancelled the order and will try the Pledge trick.

Just thought you'd like to know. Suzanne
Old 07-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Why don't you guys just try one of those thin clear sheets one uses to make pastry on. You can buy them at Kroger's. They can be reused and are portable. This is very inexpensive as opposed to the other solutions. :D
Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 AM

They do work fairly well but you can make you own inexpensively. For complete instructions check out www.thequiltrat.blogspot.com
Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Quilt Rat
They do work fairly well but you can make you own inexpensively. For complete instructions check out www.thequiltrat.blogspot.com
I just visited the website you gave. I could not find the instructions :(
Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 PM

This is the direct link to the specific instructions to make your own sew slip. Anybody had it work?
http://thequiltrat.blogspot.com/search/label/sew%20slip
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 PM

I bought a sew slip and love it. It's made my FMQ much easier. You can really tell the difference. To me, it's worth every penny of the $25.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lady.quilter
This is the direct link to the specific instructions to make your own sew slip. Anybody had it work?
http://thequiltrat.blogspot.com/search/label/sew%20slip
What a great tip!!! Very economic too :D:D:D Thank you!!!