Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Appliqué.....is it really as scary as I think it is?

So, I've never appliqued before, and I am making a bunch of mug rugs for little presents and I would love to try but have no idea where to start? Any tips or tutorials for a beginner appliquer?

Blog Entries
    http://quilting.about.com/od/appliqu...o_Applique.htm

I think this is a great site to start with. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Blog Entries
    It's not scary. However, do you want to do hand applique or machine applique? All of the tips will be different depending on which type you are thinking of trying.

Blog Entries
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=appliqu...=8-9&form=QBLH

Lots of tutorial links and videos. As the above poster mentioned, you need to figure out which applique style you want to do.

I have done invisible machine applique , reverse hand applique, machine satin stitch and hand applique. Each has it's own type of preparation. But once you learn .... :)

Blog Entries
    A lot depends whether you want to do machine work with iron-on interface or hand-work. Neither is really scary at all.

For the interface, you draw the pattern on the paper (make sure to mirror image where necessary), trim roughly around the drawn pattern, pull off the paper and iron it (according to manufacturer's instructions) to the BACK side of the fabric. Then you trim ON the line, peel off the other paper side and iron the interfaced fabric to the backing piece. I usually use a blanket stitch, a zig-zag stitch or a satin stitch to secure the edge.

Hand-stitch I'm not that good at but there are lots of different ways to attach the pieces too.

I love to do hand applique by the back basting method. So easy and quick. Here is one link to a tutorial but if you google "back basting applique" I am sure you will find lots of info.
    http://tropicalapplique.blogspot.com...late-free.html

I machine qpplique and love it...my favorite style of quilting. I also love drawing and cutting out the appliques. I guess it reminds me of my childhood and cutting out paperdolls

I recommend El Burns Applique books & free videos. Am a newbie myself & she gives great directions.

Blog Entries
    oooooo noo, it's not scary. Most of what I do is applique. I can't make 2 pieced blocks come out the same size!!

I don't use any kind of fusible stuff. I just use a plain ol' kids glue stick. You can move your pieces around for a good while until they are stuck good. It washes out completely and doesn't have the stiffness of that fusible stuff.

Fat Cat has a bunch of applique patterns http://fatcatpatterns.com/

Not scary but can be tedious and time consuming. but the results are lovely

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast