Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Appliqué suggestions needed

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cotswolds,England
    Posts
    50
    You are such clever people. Knew I was asking in the right place! Thanks J

  2. #12
    Super Member Debbie B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huber Heights, Ohio
    Posts
    2,222
    I enlarged the picture & was then able to see the repair. I think the easiest thing would be to appliqué an eagle. Good luck with it!

  3. #13
    Super Member applique's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,141
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B View Post
    I enlarged the picture & was then able to see the repair. I think the easiest thing would be to appliqué an eagle. Good luck with it!
    There is already a strip of stars across the top and the bottom, so another down the side would not be unusual.
    Debbie
    Machine It

  4. #14
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,638
    I added a large appliqued star to a patriotic quilt that had a rather big hole. It looks great. I used muslin but it looks like you can use white.
    Anna Quilts

  5. #15
    Suz
    Suz is offline
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,025
    Gals, I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but am wondering if our flag is appropriate for the Linus Project. Aren't these quilts given to small children who will drag them about? I am not sure a small child will appreciate or care for our flag.

    Is there another situation wherein this flag repairs can be made and then displayed for what it represents and kept from harms way?

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW TN
    Posts
    581
    I agree with Suz. Google uses for the American Flag and see if there are guideline to ensure respect for the flag.


    Linda

    Sew little time and sew many ideas

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
    I agree with Suz. Google uses for the American Flag and see if there are guideline to ensure respect for the flag.

    I have extracted parts of the "U.S. Flag Code" below.


    This code is the guide for all handling and display of the Stars and Stripes. It does not impose penalties for misuse of the United States Flag. That is left to the states and to the federal government for the District of Columbia. Each state has its own flag law.

    §176. Respect for flag

    No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

    (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.


    For more information, go to: www.usflag.org/uscode36.html‎

    I don't think this is an appropriate quilt (if used for bedding) for Linus or any other project. Perhaps using it for display would be a more appropriate use for this quilt.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW TN
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by OES184 View Post
    I have extracted parts of the "U.S. Flag Code" below.


    This code is the guide for all handling and display of the Stars and Stripes. It does not impose penalties for misuse of the United States Flag. That is left to the states and to the federal government for the District of Columbia. Each state has its own flag law.

    §176. Respect for flag

    No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

    (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.


    For more information, go to: www.usflag.org/uscode36.html‎

    I don't think this is an appropriate quilt (if used for bedding) for Linus or any other project. Perhaps using it for display would be a more appropriate use for this quilt.
    Thanks for doing the research. I did the same thing after I ended my first post and found the same information.

    American flag should not be used for bedding (i.e. blanket).


    Linda

    Sew little time and sew many ideas

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    525
    Suz, good point.

    There are rules regarding the handling of our national flag. One of them being it is not supposed to touch the ground. If one does, it is to be destroyed.
    As former military and a patriot, I dont like the idea of it being drug all over the floor, wadded up and drooled on.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cotswolds,England
    Posts
    50
    How terribly sad. To bring joy to a child is the gift we give. I accept your comments and will donate elsewhere. J

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.