Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Applique anyone?

Blog Entries
    Can I do this? I have been toying with this for a few days... My Aunt made a fruit quilt doing this, I got it and it took legs and walked from me.. I am sick over it.... I think I would like to make one for myself, each block that I so will be milestone to my childhood. ... are they hard to do? ok, fusing or not? whipstitch it or machine? What do i do? really need your help on this.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Machine applique is simple. You can do it. I'm not a fan of hand sewing, so I can't say much about that.

Make yourself a frog potholder just to get the idea of the process. If you like it, keep on frogging!

Blog Entries
    got a picture of a froggy? I can do that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Machine applique is simple. You can do it. I'm not a fan of hand sewing, so I can't say much about that.

Make yourself a frog potholder just to get the idea of the process. If you like it, keep on frogging!

I think machine applique is really easy too. Just practice for a bit on a small sample and you will be ready to go. I start very slowly so that I can place the needle in the right place then the machine does the rest of the work.

Blog Entries
    how close to the edge do you go? straight or zigzag? I am clueless, maybe this by a trip to monday night at the LQS for guidance?
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerjoy
    I think machine applique is really easy too. Just practice for a bit on a small sample and you will be ready to go. I start very slowly so that I can place the needle in the right place then the machine does the rest of the work.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Straight or zig zag depends on the look you want. If you like frayed edges -- sort of shabby chic -- use a straight stitch a bit back from the edge. If you want it smooth go with a zig zag.

As for a pattern, Google free coloring book pages. You are bound to find a frog you can turn into a pattern. Anohter great applique site is

http://www.fourtwinsisters.com/

Blog Entries
    this is great! we need to get together girls!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Straight or zig zag depends on the look you want. If you like frayed edges -- sort of shabby chic -- use a straight stitch a bit back from the edge. If you want it smooth go with a zig zag.

As for a pattern, Google free coloring book pages. You are bound to find a frog you can turn into a pattern. Anohter great applique site is

http://www.fourtwinsisters.com/

Also try YouTube for applique instructions!

Blog Entries
    I do lots of machine applique and usually use the buttonhole stitch or the applique stitch that is on my BabyLock Ellegante. I like to use matching thread instead of the invisible or monofilament thread. I like black thread with the buttonhole stitch for a country look. Just my personal preference. It is a lot of fun and quite satisfying. I have done very simple and some very complicated. Just go for it.