Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique/Art Quilt >

Applique/Art Quilt

Applique/Art Quilt

Old 06-04-2013, 09:16 AM

Default Applique/Art Quilt

Hiya All,
Procrastination is over and inspiration has finally hit again, I am now in the initial planning stage of an art/appliqué Mermaid and Merman wall hanging, something I've not done before. Rather than a square bed size I'm wanting to make it long and narrow to hang on the wall above the staircase.
I could really do with some advice before committing to one section regarding the tail fin-fluke of the merman as I would like it to hang off, or jut out off the edge of the quilt and wondered if this was possible. Has anyone made a quilt with this appliqué process and how did you back and bind it?
Also, I would like to use my fabric paints on the skin, but have found that I'm being too heavy handed with the brushes. I need something softer to make the shading more delicate when applying the paint.

Any advice and suggestions would be really appreciated.
Joanne
Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 AM

I have appliqued a lot of quilts and think it is easy...but do advise practicing first. I often try different stitches before I pick one for a particular quilt. Sometimes I do a satin stitch...some times a blanket one...or others...depends on the effect I think works for that quilt. You do all the applique before you sandwich it...then you have to figure out what quilting will work for the project.

For painting on fabric...for shading I often dilute the paint to get the appearance I want. To shade I use a flat brush and dip it in the main color and the just the right edge in the shading color and brush on a paper to blend...just a little and then paint the fabric...hope that made some kind of sense! I bet if you google either of these you will find better instructions.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Thank you, Elaine,
Although I've done needle turn applique on a quilt a few years ago, it's the problem of how to back the tail fin that's the dilemma and what I meant that I hadn't done before, sorry for not explaining that. I will be trying different stitches on this quilt, as I'm also wanting it to sparkle and to sew beads etc on it.

Your explanation of painting makes perfect sence, thank you. I'll give that a try as I might not be diluting it enough.
Again, thank you.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

It sounds like a very cool plan you have. Regarding your backing for the tail fin, couldn't you just cut your backing way oversized to accomodate the overhanging tail, and do the same for the batting. Quilt as desired and then trim away all that excess once quilting is completed. Then work with a bias binding to accomodate all those curves and odd angles when binding.

For painting, well I have never done fabric painting but in painting hard surfaces a dry brush technique works quite well for subtle shading. Or stencil brushes and shiva paint sticks might be the way to go. Because you work a lot of the paint off of the brush before applying it to your surface you slowly build up to the tone/shading you want a little at a time. I would recommend getting Irena Bluhm's book "Quilts of a different color" for ideas/guidance.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM

I use my pinky finger to blend paint just a tiny touch and start light and work it around.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I have done quilts with elements *sticking out* from the main lines of the quilt a few times- I sandwich and quilt them as normal- then trim the batting/backing around the features that stick out (along with trimming the whole quilt) then I use a facing instead of a regular binding- facings are quite easy- if you do a search (*finishing your quilt/facings*) you will find lot s of videos, tutorials on the technique- it is a great way to go when your quilt is not a traditional square/rectangle.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:34 PM

I usually put a back on the part that will be hanging over the quilt edge and put batting in it
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 PM

i would cut 2 pieces of tail fabric put them righ sides together then sew the tail shape[use a small1.5 stitch]leave a small section open so you can turn it[after trimming back to stitch line]now you can sew on the upper part leaving the end hanging over edge----you can also stuff the tail a little------hope this is what you meant
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM

I think you've gotten some good suggestions. For the tail, I'd figure out what part will hang over and sandwich it and birth it like jemma suggested. Then applique the rest of the figure. Leave about 1" to the edge of the quilt top unattached. Sandwich and quilt the rest of the quilt. Bind the quilt, keeping the tail loose. After binding, attach the tail to the edge of the binding.

As to painting, I like the look of watercolor and have experience with watercolor on paper. So I'd use dye or ink rather than acrylic paint. "Quilts of a Different Color" has some good info. Tsuniko ink has good info. I've been using Inktense and beginning to have success with it.

Love to see pictures.