Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique- beginner >

Applique- beginner

Applique- beginner

Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM

I have a lot of applique patterns and books and love the look of it but am terrified to do it. I don't know where to start. I took a class on machine as well as hand applique, but still do not feel confident, any advice
Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Just jump in and do one of the patterns you have. You can experiment to see if you like the satin stitch, or blanket stitch or zigzag.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Pick a pattern, cut your pieces and start. Starting is the hardest part. Tell yourself that if you make one block but don't LOVE it there is always another. The one you don't love for a quilt might be a great pillow or wall hanging. Worse thing that happens is you turn it into a cage liner and donate it to your local animal shelter. THEY will LOVE it.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

start with something simple, not alot of detail; maybe a 6" block. once you get started you will find that you are appliquing all the time!
i finally had to stop saying I don't like applique; when my daughter said, how can you say that you applique everything! like 99% of your quilts have applique...
and she's right. i love applique, some techniques better than others...but i applique ALOT! had a hard time getting started though :)
Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Just jump in and do one of the patterns you have. You can experiment to see if you like the satin stitch, or blanket stitch or zigzag.
This is really good advice. Just pick one and try it, like we all did when we started quilting. I love applique, machine or hand. I am not great at it but I have fun doing it. We would love to see your work. Carol
Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM

i love hand applique but had to give it up do to problems with my right hand. tried fusing the designs and using invisible thread to secure them so the quilt could be washed. worked great. applique with invisible thread in the bobbin also. i had to loosen my upper tension to get the stitches balanced. use a very fne sharp needle. all machines are different so test your tension on scraps. to keep the edges of the fabric from getting fuzzy i use a very fine line of fray check on the edges before i remove the paper backing from the fusible.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Make a pot holder. That's a nice small project. You'll find out if you like it and if you hate it you are not out much for materials.

I love Eleanor Burns' method of applique with the fusible interfacing. If you look in her videos under Egg Money quilts, it is explained with several different blocks.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/