Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique clothes onto a quilt backing..how to? >

Applique clothes onto a quilt backing..how to?

Applique clothes onto a quilt backing..how to?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 AM

Question Applique clothes onto a quilt backing..how to?

I have this idea, that I'm not sure if I should try tackle or not haha..
I want to applique a shirt top and pants onto my quilt backing so it looks kind of like an invisible person is on the quilt backing...the material is almost like a denim so its pretty sturdy...will I need an adhesive for applique to put on the back of the shirt & pants then stitch around my edge? It's a military theme quilt so it is going to look like an invisible solider is on the backing of the quilt.

When I quilt the whole quilt I will probably use invisible thread on the bobbin as I won't want stitch lines shown all over my shirt & pants, or very minimum stitch lines shown anyway haha.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM

I think you should try it - it would be kind of cool. I am guessing that you are going to cut the clothes in half (back from front) so that ou will only be appliqueing down either the front or back side of the shirt & pants. If you don't I am afraid it would be too bulky
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I think you should try it - it would be kind of cool. I am guessing that you are going to cut the clothes in half (back from front) so that ou will only be appliqueing down either the front or back side of the shirt & pants. If you don't I am afraid it would be too bulky

Yes, I will be cutting the clothes in half (back from front) and using just the fronts. The only other thing I am wondering about is it has buttons on it etc...and since that is the part that will be against your body do you think since it isn't a super soft material it will be uncomfortable to sleep with? hmmm another obstacle I am seeing ... :/
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM

I would definitely use steamaseam or wonder under or some type of "stick!"
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM

It is certainly a new twist on the backing. Sounds fun!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

I think you should consider other issues besides it being uncomfortable to sleep under with buttons and zippers and such. I think it would bother me, but I'm not the one sleeping under it. I think a bigger issues is your midarm will not like going over those things! The extra bulk, especially in the clothes where there is interfacing, such as collars, cuffs on shirt sleeves and wastebands on pants and belt loops, I think you are just asking for trouble quilting over that stuff. I could easily see the machine bed hanging up on all those irregular surfaces or worse yet getting thrown out of timing because you hit an area with way too much bulk or worse, a button or zipper. If you do wish to proceed with this idea I would wait until after the quilt is quilted to applique the clothes on but that would require hand work.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I think you should consider other issues besides it being uncomfortable to sleep under with buttons and zippers and such. I think it would bother me, but I'm not the one sleeping under it. I think a bigger issues is your midarm will not like going over those things! The extra bulk, especially in the clothes where there is interfacing, such as collars, cuffs on shirt sleeves and wastebands on pants and belt loops, I think you are just asking for trouble quilting over that stuff. I could easily see the machine bed hanging up on all those irregular surfaces or worse yet getting thrown out of timing because you hit an area with way too much bulk or worse, a button or zipper. If you do wish to proceed with this idea I would wait until after the quilt is quilted to applique the clothes on but that would require hand work.

Good point....hmmm yeah probably for sure then I would be safer to put it applique them on after I am done quilting...Thanks for the advise! Yeah, I better think about it a few more days to make sure, and maybe I better ask the hubby what he thinks, I'd like to surprise him but at the same time if they thinks its uncomfortable then I am stuck...I better ask him about it first
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Or another idea would be make letters out of camo fabric that say "American Solider" or "Veteran" and put those on the backing ...uff sooo many ideas! haha