Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 AM

Your applique is lovely! I am in awe of the Maggie Walker quilt, I've always admired her patterns. And the Anita Shackleford piece looks great either way.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Your applique is awesome!
I'm working on the FWSPC blocks but my fabrics (My fabric is 'Betsy Ross') don't work with some of the blocks so I've added some different blocks. One for this week I appliqued a Liberty Bell!
I'll post it in the next few days.
Thanks lots. I can't wait to see your block.
cleodaisy
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM

Suz - Thanks lots. Back basting is my favorite method too, except for two fabric pieces. My small circles don't get done that way either. Hole punches and card stock work better.
Cleodaisy
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Cleodaisy, you work is incredible!

Suz, I love the back basting method too

Suzy
Thanks lots, Suzy
Cleodaisy
Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by cactusmomma View Post
Oh my goodness! I just finished the center block of "My Tweets" and thought I had done pretty well. However.....Your work is amazing. Back to the "drawing" board (so to speak) for me. Cleodaisy, thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.
Cactusmomma -Thanks so much. I have collected the "My Tweets" patterns. I am almost finished with "Florabunda". Doesn't Erin have sweet patterns? Don't let my pieces daunt you too much. Many classes, 9 years in one applique guild and 5 years in another have been a ton of help. I am so lucky to be in two groups that are for applique.
Cleodaisy
Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by catlinye_maker View Post
Your applique is lovely! I am in awe of the Maggie Walker quilt, I've always admired her patterns. And the Anita Shackleford piece looks great either way.
Thanks catlinye_maker. When I received the MW kit I was scared to death. One block at a time!! A good friend had the same kit and we worked together on it.
cleodaisy
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Suz

I don't use the card stock for my templates. I will draw the design onto freezer paper and then before cutting out, I layer 2-3 layers of freezer paper. It will become quite stiff. When I am ready to draw the circles, the freezer paper can be pressed into place and will stay put until I have basted (as in yo-yos). I often had trouble keeping the regular templates centered. If the freezer paper does not get soaked with spray starch or sizing, they will last thru several circles.

Funny thing. My friend, Cindy and were on a shopping trip today to purchase fabrics for our Quilts of Valor. We had planned lunch and I was going to demo the back basting method to her. She is a beginner at applique. At the LQS, I had to purchase the Clover white pen and the shop owner asked how it worked. Since I had demo stuff ready in the car, we brought it in and did the demo at the shop. I guess the shop owner was impressed with the method and has asked me to teach a class on it. Now, I need to get my ideas together and speak with her again. My question to you all, is how much should be charged for a 1-1/2 to 2 hour class? I covet your answers and suggestions; thanking in advance.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I am signed up for a needleturn class at the LQS. We have our 3rd class tonight. Class 1 we went over basic guidelines and we appliqued a square down (learned turning corners under). 2nd class we covered bias stems and points (like leaves). We took 2 hours to sew that bloody leaf down and everyone's tongue was sticking out from being so concentrated. lol Tonight we do the "innies" and circles. I think she will use a heart for the sharp inside turn.

One of my earlier mistakes was that my needle was too thick. Since I started using straw needles, I can actually do it. YEAH! My hope is that I will do some Affairs of the Heart blocks. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I don't use the card stock for my templates. I will draw the design onto freezer paper and then before cutting out, I layer 2-3 layers of freezer paper. It will become quite stiff. When I am ready to draw the circles, the freezer paper can be pressed into place and will stay put until I have basted (as in yo-yos). I often had trouble keeping the regular templates centered. If the freezer paper does not get soaked with spray starch or sizing, they will last thru several circles.

Funny thing. My friend, Cindy and were on a shopping trip today to purchase fabrics for our Quilts of Valor. We had planned lunch and I was going to demo the back basting method to her. She is a beginner at applique. At the LQS, I had to purchase the Clover white pen and the shop owner asked how it worked. Since I had demo stuff ready in the car, we brought it in and did the demo at the shop. I guess the shop owner was impressed with the method and has asked me to teach a class on it. Now, I need to get my ideas together and speak with her again. My question to you all, is how much should be charged for a 1-1/2 to 2 hour class? I covet your answers and suggestions; thanking in advance.
Awesome!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 PM

Crafty Bear, thanks for starting this thread. I really like to applique and am enjoying this chat.