Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Precious quilts!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:36 AM

I have not read through every page on here since I first posted in this thread, so my problem, I'm sure, has already been addressed....but.....I always have problems with my points! I have tried everything I've ever heard or seen on making crisp points. But it seems to me that I always wind up with too much fabric at the tip and it makes a lump. If I cut away the fabric I wind up with the fabrics threads coming out the end.
If someone could tell me on what pages this may have been discussed, or give me some advice here, I would greatly appreciate it. I love applique and do this a lot, but when I get to a point I get so frustrated.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Shirls, I think points are troublesome for almost everyone. The insanely acute points on some pieces just give me the hives.

I like the starch method of preparing the fabric and that helps get everything packed in there. I trim really close to the fold - like 1/16 of an inch - after I get the tip folded down. Then I trim the first side after it's folded down, then the third.

With regular needleturn, I trim really close after the first side is stitched, then I turn the tip and trim the underside of that and then the trickiness. I turn the third side and fingerpress it, then let it go and trim that. I keep that wet toothpick in my mouth all the time so I take that and tuck under that last edge of the point and hold it in place with my thumbnail. Every few stitches, I adjust and pinch as necessary. (Edited to add: you're stitches are going to be SUPER close together, here, almost becoming part of the fabric. Holding all that fabric in a tiny spot is going to take a lot of sewing. )

On small pieces with very acute points, I think we just need to accept that the fabric is going to be thicker in that area - almost dimensional. It's not as noticeable after we get the block finished and pressed, and probably no one is going to see anything but the design when it's done, so we just keep practicing and doing our best.

I admit that this is easier said than done - I'm usually perfection-driven and always disappointed because of course, I never actually reach perfection. Just hang in there and keep trying different things until you find what works for you and when you do, you can teach me.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by kat13 View Post
whoo hoo I did it!! Thanks hobbykat!!
Glad it helped and worked
Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Suz

I stitch points much like Poly above. One thing that I do do when changing directions is to take one extra stitch at the tip of the point or at a deep "V". Once you have taken this extra stitch, remove your pins, peel the side back exposing what just stitched and trim very close to the stitching. Add your pins. Trim the very tip slightly. Using your dampened pick, cause a 45 degree angle. When it is in place, stuff and stuff with your needle, and then stitch the second side. Sometimes, I stuff more than necessary and then use the tip of my needle to coax the extra out again to my markings.

Incidentally, I mark the top of my piece with the white marker by Clover and use it as a guide to the shape of applique. (The marks disappear with heat or water.) Also, my seam allowance is about 1/8". This narrow allowance is scarey, but can be done. AND, use a very fine needle. I use a straw or milliners needle, #9. Thin needles do not make big holes thus separating the fabric weave causing the freying.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Me too - hate hand work, am beginning to love applique with the machine. However, I am having trouble keeping the stitches even - any hints ?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 PM

I don't understand what you mean by uneven machine stitches. I was trying to vary my width of satin stitches and decided to wait until another project for that, but my machine never given an uneven satin stitch. What stitch are you using that is uneven?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:45 PM

I love applique, but I am not really good at it. When I machine applique it looks alright. but my hand applique is not so pretty. I brougth the night before Christmas by Sue Garman to do and I only have 1/3 of the first block done. I really wish there was a work shop for a week-end to go to. I really like hand needle work, like redwork or anything that you can take in the car or to the doctors office, or on your lunch break to do while waitting. It is very relaxing.
think I will join your group if you do not mind.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Default island splendor quilt began

This is the beginning of my quilt called Island Splendor by Dereck C. Lockwood. Is a broken star with appliqued blocks between points. Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails dsc02222.jpg   dsc02223.jpg   dsc02224.jpg   dsc02225.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Oh, how wonderful! I love the birds and those bright fabrics on black will get me every time.

The one I'm working on is all solids, but it would be pretty in the prints that you have in yours, too.