Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Help Needed >

Applique Help Needed

Applique Help Needed

Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Hi,

I am new to this board and fairly new to quilting. I have pieced a queen size quilt and now I am wanting to do some applique on it. My problem is I cannot decide if I should do a satin stitch by machine or applique by hand - then if by hand which is the easiest method to use. How is that for a pile of questions? This quilt will be washed often so I need the applique to be secure and last through the washings.
Thank you to everyone for any suggestions. I have been looking at this pieced top for 2 weeks trying to decide how to do the applique. Need you all to get my butt in gear!

Bailey
Old 01-22-2010, 02:18 PM

I guess it depends on what look you are going for. I always use the blanket-stitch and I do it by hand for quilts. To me it gives it a definite hand-made feel. When I did it on sweatshirt jackets, I used a satin stitch on my machine because it would get more wear and tear than a quilt. You usually don't have to worry about something constantly snagging stitches on your quilt like you would wearing a jacket say to work or something. Just do what you like best. Good luck and can't wait to see it done.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

WOW!!! This is quite a projcet :D:D:D
Personally I would use a blanket stitch. It is much softer feeling than the satin stitch would be.
If you aren't using fusible or a method to turn under the edges, I would satin stitch.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 PM

Bailey,

I'm new to this board also and haven't made very many quilts. I think that hand applique is very time consuming but it's much more beautiful. I'm working on a quilt that has 16 squares of applique and it has been quite a job. But when it's finished I'll be able to admire it and say "I did that"!

Not too long ago I made the conscience decision that I wasn't going to do things the easy way anymore. If I want something to be really nice I need do the work to make it really nice.

Having said that, machine applique can be really nice too. I guess it really comes down to personal opinion.

Good luck with your quilt!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 PM

It really does depend on the designs you're using - the blanket stitch has a homey-er, cuter look, hand applique tend to look more elegant (both in my opinion, of course).

Do you want to do the applique in the middle, or more toward an edge? Would it be easier to accomodate on your machine, or in your hands (making sure in both situations to not stitch corners or sides INTO the applique! Not fun to do!)?

Good luck, whatever you choose!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:35 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I would like it much better if I did the work by hand. I just can't decide what method to use. I actually like sitting and doing work by hand much better than machine appliqueing. This quilt is just kind of a design as I go kind of thing but I am loving it. I will post a picture as soon as I get the top done and you can all critique for me. I have all the fabric and "stuff" ready to make a One Block Wonder quilt that I want to give my son for his birthday in December so I do have a lot of time to make that one. It will be in all shades of black and off white and every shade of grey imaginable. Then will have a few accents of bright purple or red. Can't wait to start it so I need to get this other one done.
Love reading this board and looking at the pictures of quilts. They are all so beautiful and I am learning a lot reading the board.

Thanks,
Bailey
Old 01-23-2010, 06:41 AM
jpg

I have found that the best way to hand applique is using the back basting method -- see http://www.quiltingboard.com/compose...topicnum=34829 for directions. There are no templates needed and it is very portable. I never thought I could applique by hand until I learned about this method on Simply Quilts. I found this site recently that explains it. You will be able to applique almost anything you see and can draw--I do all applique quilts now--hardly ever do piecing except for backgrounds and borders. It has changed my quilting life!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:44 AM
jpg

Sorry--got the wrong address copied--go tohttp://www.appleblossomquilts.com/tips/backBasting/ for the info
Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Awww...trying to follow the link provided for "back basting" applique. I've never heard of it (which doesn't mean a hill of beans)..but I'm interested. Can you type the link out again?

And for your applique quilt, I would recommend a hand done blanket stitch after preparing your pieces with your preferred method. It IS very relaxing. If you are in a hurry, you can do it by machine. Satin stitching by machine isn't as easy as it sounds..you have to go very slowly to make sure the stitching is even and then on the pointy ends, you need to make adjustments so they look right..(well, IMHO anyway)
Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 AM
jpg

Back basting info is at http://www.appleblossomquilts.com/tips/backBasting/. Sorry-I goofed the first time.